Witnesses

Blythe and Rosalie hadn't even spent a full month in Alaska before they were called to be witnesses for the other Cullens. Blythe didn't understand what they were supposed to do but she didn't think too much of it. She'd stand behind her coven no matter what.

Blythe wasn't too keen on the idea of having Kayli around a bunch of vampires so she had to drop her off with Charlie. Luckily, Charlie asked no questions and welcomed Kayli back into his home.

The Cullens were glad to have Blythe and Rosalie back. However, Rosalie was definitely not glad to be back. She spent a whole day locked in her old room, not willing to come out and talk to anyone.

Blythe and Emmett eventually were able to draw Rosalie out. Yet Rosalie still wasn't sociable with every person that walked through the Cullen household. Simple handshakes and waves to familiar vampires were as far as Rosalie was willing to go.

On the other hand, Blythe found herself very fascinated with all the new vampires around her. Within a few hours, Blythe had talked to every vampire that passed through. Even the unfriendly ones, as they were usually being coaxed to be nice by their friendlier counterparts.

Of all the vampires that Blythe had met, she got along with Zafrina and her mate Senna the most. Zafrina was enamored with Blythe's abilities and wanted to test out how far they expanded. Zafrina was curious if it was possible to morph Blythe's powers beyond thoughts and into actual images.

"I'd like you to test your abilities on me," Zafrina spoke as she elongated her spine. Making the tall woman even taller.

"I can't." Blythe frowned.

Zafrina wasn't expecting that answer from the younger woman. "Why not?"

"My abilities only work on those who fear dying at my hands," Blythe explained.

"Or if they submit," Palo said. Due to his distrust of the unfamiliar vampires around him, he chose to keep a close eye on Blythe and Bree. He wanted to be able to help them if a fight ever started.

"I can't make someone submit unless they fear me," Blythe said.

"That's not necessarily true," Zafrina said, she seemed to be thinking of something. "I can allow you to shift through my head. That's submission in a way is it not?"

"I suppose it is." Blythe shrugged.

Zafrina closed her eyes and bowed her head to Blythe. "So go on. Show me what you can do." Blythe found the actions of the South American woman to be unusual. But still, she closed her eyes and focused on entering the mind of the woman before her.

She needs to foc- Zafrina thought.

Blythe smirked. I think I'm doing just fine.

Zafrina stood up and smiled in delight. "Seems like you don't need further coaching on the basics. Try to show me a picture or a visualization."

Blythe closed her eyes and thought of a picture. However, she was failing to see anything other than the black behind her eyelids. Do you see anything?

"I see nothing. Nothing at all. Is that your intent?" Zafrina asked.

"Maybe I need to try harder?" Blythe suggested.

"You've done enough, release me," Zafrina ordered. Blythe was a bit confused but she soon understood what was happening. Zafrina couldn't see anything, because she couldn't.

"Not so fun is it now?" Senna teased.

Blythe opened her eyes and tried her best to leave Zafrina's mind. The older woman rolled her eyes at her mate. "I suppose not."Zafrina pointed to Blythe and narrowed her eyes. "You and I are going to work on this a bit more. It seems as though, you're capable of far greater than you believe."

Blythe was able to sense Rosalie coming up behind her before the blonde even opened her mouth. "There you are." Rosalie wrapped her arms around her mate, hugging her from behind. Rosalie kissed Blythe on the cheek, making the younger immortal smile. "Hello Zafrina, Senna."

Senna waved to her old friend. "Rose, they've been playing with their minds for hours. It's boring."

Rosalie laughed. "You know how Zafrina gets when she's interested in something." Rosalie turned to Zafrina. "When do I get my wife back?"

"You're married to Rosalie?" Zafrina asked. She figured that Blythe and Rosalie were close or intimate in some way. But she didn't understand how close, none of the other vampires really did. Some of them didn't want to either, they wanted to believe that they had a chance with the blonde beauty.

"The wedding's bound to happen soon." Blythe shrugged.

Alastair left out of the Cullen mansion, looking particularly agitated. "While you guys were out here, fraternizing. There was a meeting called. Apparently, the Cullens plan to lead us to our deaths."

"What?" Rosalie released her mate and turned to the disheveled man.

"You didn't know?" Alastair smirked. "Edward is asking us all to fight against the Volturi."