forty four

warnings: flasbacks/SA

𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

two ghosts
part one

.

.

Abby laid awake staring silently at the ceiling. She had taken one of Spencer's knitted jumpers from his drawers and climbed onto his bed. For some reason the added task of getting herself under the covers didn't seem achievable, instead she just slowly moved herself onto the warmth of Spencer's comforter. But her thoughts would not cease; the conversations with Hotch and Spencer replayed cruelly in her mind, and then, subsequently, her thoughts would turn to her mother and a horrible guilty feeling would wash over her until they were squashed only by the painful memories of her. Over the past couple of years Abby felt she had cried and hurt and lost more than enough to last a lifetime, evidently she was wrong.

Abby felt her throat tighten and her eyes watered. This time she didn't fight the cries that were taking her hostage, she'd had enough of hurting; now she just wanted to feel - she wanted this all to be over. She hugged her arms tighter around herself, drawing Spencer's scent in close. She cried, her tears soaking into Spencer's sweater - now he would always have a part of her and she, a part of him. 

Spencer was in the bathroom trying to catch a glimpse of his reflection in the mirror but he had left the shower running so long that the room was a foggy haze. His hair was wet with condensation and his skin was horribly moist and sticky, a sensation that would normally send his senses into overdrive but, now? He didn't care. That was an exaggeration - he did care, quite a lot, but he just couldn't find the motivation to move. His brain was trying to relay the signals but nothing happened. 

Abby's words kept replaying cruelly in his mind; from her first words to her last. And not just tonight. The first words they ever spoke to one another, to their last, to their first on that rooftop in Arizona, to their last words tonight. 

"I - I can't give you that life. I can't give you a family."

That was what hurt Spencer the most; even after facing this alone, she still worried more about him. He should've known, he should've gone with her, he should've been there. And yet, here he was once again and there she was once again, alone. Separate. 

Spencer decided to abandon the shower, he was never going to get in it. He just needed the noise whilst he thought because, Spencer Reid, the man who had an answer for everything, had no idea what happened now. There was a change in their relationship, an undeniable, painful shift that if left unattended would grow and fester until neither wanted to address it; until it was too late and the only option was to walk away before they grew to detest the sight of the other; angered by the sight of what they had given up to stay and the fear of regret.