*

I walk down to his private beach. It was a spot where I could clear my mind and feel tranquility, but I quickly, realize I couldn't get in. I didn't have a keycard, so instead I just grasp the metal gate and stare out towards the water. The breeze came in and brushed my hair back behind my shoulders. The wind brought the smell of salt and sand to my nose. I close my eyes and let the moment take me away.

"Need this?" I hear Joeys voice behind me.

I turn around quickly to see him holding up the keycard. "What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I just needed to clear my mind." He says, scanning us in and practically reading my thoughts. "What about you, where's Nick?"

"Same and he's at home. We kind of got into a fight." I tell him as we walk down to the edge of the beach.

"About what?" He asks as we sit down in the sand.

"I don't know, he got a phone call. I think it was some girl." I shake my head in annoyance.

Joey laughs. "He's definitely not cheating on you, Lili. He has no time for that. Not to mention he's completely obsessed with you." He adds.

"You don't understand. He was being all secretive about it." I try to explain to him. "He was being weird too, and wouldn't tell me who it was."

"I think you guys just need to get out. You guys should come to the party tonight." He says.

I turn my head to look at him. "You know that's not a good idea. Most people there think we're dating."

"We could break up?" He smiles.

"Nick won't go. You know that." I sigh.

"You could go?"

I smirk at him. "You are such a little instigator."

"Little?" His eyebrows raise.

"Okay, big. Whatever." I laugh.

"So, you going to go?" He questions me. "You don't have to play the game."

I was feeling a bit angry at Nick and I really did need to get out. Going to the party sounded a lot more fun than going back to Nicks house and arguing with him all night.

"Alright, yeah. I'll go. Can you drive me to my place, so that I can change?"

The party.

I take an Uber to the party. Everyone that I knew there was pretty surprised to see me, but they were all friendly and made me feel welcomed.

I go into the kitchen for a drink and notice Jimmy standing there pouring himself one.

He looks up from what he's doing and catches sight of me. "Oh, hey Lili." He takes his eyes off of me and momentarily scans the room. "You here alone?"

"Hey." I softly, smile. "Uh, yeah actually. I am."

His eyes point to Joey. "Aren't you guys together?" He asks.

I turn and look at Joey and then quickly say. "No, we broke up." I say, refocusing my attention back on him.

"I'm sorry." He says, symptomatically.

"It's okay, I'm fine." I uncomfortably shift my weight and lean my arms on the kitchen counter.

"Need a drink?" He shakes his cup and flashes that all to gorgeous smile.

"Yeah, definitely." I reply.

"Here, have this one." He hands me the drink he just made. "It's new, I didn't drink out of it or anything."

"I don't mind if you did, but thanks." I giggle. Oh, man. I couldn't stare into his eyes for too long. I felt like they would trap me there forever.

I take a sip of the drink and immediately, realize this man wasn't playing around. He was definitely, trying to get drunk.

I must have made a face because he chuckles and says "You okay?"

"Yeah, it's perfect." I laugh, knowing I was a light weight and this drink was going to send me.

*

Later in the night I start to mingle more. I talk to Claire about Nick and I's little situation, and she tries to reassure me just as Joey did that Nick wouldn't cheat on me. I was pretty confident that he wasn't either, though. —But I wouldn't put it past him still.

After finishing my drink, I start on another one and by this point, I was feeling pretty drunk. I was sitting at the kitchen barstool when I see Nick enter the room.

Oh, fuck. I think to myself. My blood pressure spiked at the sight of him.

He gives me the most diabolical look as he stalks past me and into the backyard. I knew exactly, what that meant. He wanted me to follow him.

I was in big trouble.

🏈