#THIRTY NINE.

The next morning I was in a worser state. My head was pounding and my heart was shattered. I decide to call in sick to work, I couldn't bare the thought of being in Nick's vicinity. I had entire week of paid sick leave and I made the choice to take the entire week off.

After a breakup you usually don't have to see your ex, but I unfortunately didn't have that type of luxury, seeing that I work for his team. So, hopefully taking a week off would put enough distance between us to heal.. at least a little.

*

Most of the week I didn't do much, besides cry. I knew when I got back to work that I'd probably, apply for a transfer. As much as I hated the thought of not working for the 49ers anymore, it was the only way I could see myself staying sane.

On Friday I got a text from Nick which, was pretty surprising, I never expected to hear from him.

"You ok?" The text read.

I didn't respond, not because I wanted to be petty or worry him. I just felt like if I kept going back and fourth with him the toxic cycle would never end.

A few hours later he texted again.

"Hello???"

I also did not respond to that text either.

The next day he shows up at my apartment door. I definitely did not expect that, I thought it was my doordasher delivering the food I had ordered not long ago.

"What are you doing here?"

"What's going on, are you okay? I haven't seen or herd from you all week." He replies.

"Well, yeah Nick. That's kinda how break ups go." I tell him.

"I still care about your well being, Lili." He softly says.

"I'm pretty sure, you shouldn't anymore. What is this? You're confusing me, you shouldn't just show up here saying you care about my well being. Do you like fucking with my head or something?"

"I just wanted to check on you. Damn, I'm not allowed to do that?" He questions me.

"Not anymore." I stare up at him.

"Did you quit your job or something?" He completely ignores that statement, almost as if he wasn't going to except the fact he couldn't still be in my life.

"No, I took sick leave."

His face seemed relieved. "Oh, are you going to be at the game on Sunday?"

"I don't know yet."

"Okay. Well, you sure your good?" He asks.

I look at him blankly. "I'm not good, Nick. Seriously? I've been crying for days on end. Are you even sad?"

I examined his appearance and he looked completely fine to me, which pissed me off even more.

"I have a mix of emotions, Liliana. The main one being anger. I'm still trying to unpack what you and him did. I've been sick to my stomach, it's hard not to have those images in my head."