7 - Better Than Books

"Why are you using Wikipedia?" Sam asks me in disgust

"Why are you using Wikipedia?" Sam asks me in disgust. He's allowed me to borrow his laptop as I search through lore and legend to brush up on monster knowledge. Though we're dealing with strictly demons at the moment, it doesn't hurt to soak up other things. "You know just about anybody can change that. Did your school teach you nothing?"

"I'm just curious to see how goofy people make things and then search more legit sites for comparison. They're...not much better." I put my head into my hand, the non-injured one. It's mending slowly, with the potential to have a scar.

"I don't know why you want to use the laptop when we've got books here, from people who knew their stuff."

"Some of the books I can't reach," I mutter.

"You could just ask." He chuckles. I think it's the first time I've heard any of these men utter anything really happy.

Though I'm not a hunter, I gather it's a shitty job.

"Anything you want to throw at me, give me. Just...don't actually throw them at me."

"No worries."

"Where's Dean?"

"Who knows."

"You don't keep tabs on your brother?"

"I don't have to worry about something snatching him in here. Besides, my brother can take care of himself. He always has."

"You guys always this close?"

"We've had our times, yeah." Sam reaches up on his tiptoes to inspect book spines. "Lately we've been in a spell where we're tight. That's not a witch pun, by the way."

I snort. "Wasn't gonna make the comment. Must be nice to have someone watch your back. I don't have siblings, so I've never had the pleasure of sharing resources with someone other than my mother."

"No dad?"

I swallow. "Unfortunately, no. He's never been in the picture. He's a sore topic, especially with my mom. Your parents?"

"They've been gone a while."

"Were they hunters, too?"

"Mom was, in her heyday. Dad was, when she..." Sam plants himself back down on his feet. "He got involved in hunting when she died. He hunted the thing that killed her for years. We didn't have a home; when Mom died, the house burnt down. We've traveled in the car ever since. We never stayed anywhere for very long. Growing up, it was just me, Dad, and Dean."

"He didn't train you early?"

Sam winces. "He started with Dean, kept me out of it for as long as he could. I eventually left and made my own life, one without hunting. As you can see, it totally panned out." The sarcasm drips heavily in his voice.