12 - The Halfway Home for Wayward Girls

In the days following Cole's burial, Cas has been hunting for information in regards to my lineage

            In the days following Cole's burial, Cas has been hunting for information in regards to my lineage. I mainly mull around the bunker, try to do some light reading. Better to keep my mind active that way than letting it run wild with horrible scenarios.

I haven't tapped into my recently discovered power, not since the day things went to shit. I'm not sure that I ever want to again. It's freaky to think that I've got some sort of ability inside of me. Cas has no idea what it is, and I sure as hell don't.

I've got myself hunkered out in the bunker library, my eyes going cross-eyed from reading the same sentence a few times over.

"How do you feel about stretching your legs?" is Cas's greeting to me.

"Depends. Where are we going?"

"I just got off the phone with Dean. Um, they caught wind of a case so it's going to be a while longer before they come back. In the meantime, my research is going to take me away from here. Not that I don't trust the wardings of this place, but, I'd feel better knowing you have eyes on you."

"You think I'm gonna go out and do something stupid."

"No."

I squint. "You sure about that? Look, you don't need to worry. I won't leave the bunker."

"You'd go stir crazy. In case something does happen, whether to you or me or the Winchesters, or if something's coming after you, you won't be by yourself."

"You never did tell me where we'd be going."

"South Dakota."

"So, northward. You got friends up there?"

"Yes, we do. I already spoke to her, she said she'd be more than happy to house you for a few days."

She, huh? I can't imagine one of these guys having a relationship, let alone a long distance one. Must be a hunter friend. "This isn't because I have no motherly influence here, is it?"

"Not at all."

"You know, you could always ship me back home." It's a slim chance for it to happen, but I might as well try.

"Is your mother a hunter?"

"If she can barely hurt a fly, it's highly doubtful."

"Since you are still the focus of demons, you'd put your mother in danger if I sent you home."

I purse my lips. "Fine, I'll stay with your fellow hunter buddy."

* * *

"You're not secretly shipping me off to, like, a black site or something, are you?"

Cas just gives me an odd look.

I've been trying to get into conversation with him, but it's hard since I don't want to share my life story. I'm not sure I want to know his, although I am curious as to how old he really is.

Lucky for us, no demons have tried to run us off roads or ambush us when we take rests from driving. Well, the rests aren't for Cas, they're for me. I don't even have my permit yet.

"So who's your hunting pal in South Dakota?" I ask, begging to get conversation going. There have been no appealing radio stations to fill the silence.

"The sheriff of Sioux Falls. She was blindsided by the supernatural, like you."

"Did demons hunt her down?"

"No. Don't ask her about it, either. It may have been some time, but old wounds can be reopened. She's housing two girls about your age with her. Both of them know about the supernatural as well."

"So I'm staying in a halfway house for girls victimized by supernatural creatures?" I raise a brow.

Before long, we arrive at a place in the woods. While I know Cas isn't sending me to my murder grounds, being in the woods isn't comforting. I'm kind of nervous, especially when I pick up on the sheriff's cruiser in the driveway, along with a truck. I don't know why I'm worried, though. I haven't done anything wrong.

Cas does the polite, human thing of knocking. I'm not sure why I expected anything different from him. A woman with short, dark hair answers. She's not in her on-duty getup so already I feel better.

"Jody, this is Willa," Cas introduces us.

I give an awkward wave.

"Well, let me just say, I'm sorry for whatever mess you're caught up in that required the infamous trio to make you go dark from your life," Jody says sincerely. "Unfortunately, I'm all out of rooms, so—"

"I can make do with the couch, really. If I'm not here long, it's worth the struggle."

"Please." Jody steps out of the way to let Cas and I both inside. It's a cute little home. "I'm glad you came by when you did, I've got dinner cooking. I know Willa's staying, but are you, Cas?"

"Angels don't really...." Cas stops amid my scathing look his way. "Yes, I will be joining you."

I give a nod in thanks. I don't want to be alone with Jody Mills and her wayward girls. Until I get a little more comfortable with them, Cas is practically my best friend.

Speaking of a wayward girl, one comes out from a hallway. Her blonde hair is thick and wavy, two small braids are incorporated. She looks almost annoyed by our presence.

"Jody told me we were having company," says the girl, "but I was expecting Sam and Dean."

"They're deep in a case, currently," says Cas. "Claire, this is Willa. Willa, Claire."

"I'm actually gonna be something of a roomie here for a few days," I tell her.

Claire looks wary. "We might as well start a boarding house. First Alex, then me, and now you."

"She's only here temporarily," Cas reiterates. "I've got some field work to do, and—"

"And she needs a babysitter. People around her age of the same gender."

"I wouldn't put it like that."

"All right, Cas," says Jody. "You really skimped out on the details as to why I'm letting Willa stay. Not that I mind her staying, you just didn't give a lot of info."

"Willa has been...caught up in some trouble with some demons," the angel explains slowly. I watch Claire's reaction. "They believe she's a threat due to her...hunter bloodline that they claim she has. I might know where to get some answers."

"And apparently I'm not qualified to tag along," I pipe. I'm surprised Cas fails to mention my short burst of power from before. Maybe it's better that he keeps it between us. Not that I expect Jody to gun me down or anything, but I'm just as wary about Claire as the girl is of me. I can't guarantee that if she sees me in action that she won't cry "monster!" and try to hurt me.

"So, where are you going?" Claire asks conversationally.

"Someplace that's better if I go alone."

"Ah, cryptic. Is it someplace you gotta kick ass at?"

"Er, no. I'm really hoping to not...kick ass."

"Well, in any case, you can't leave yet anyhow," Jody reminds him. She makes her way back to the kitchen. "Please, you guys, get comfortable. Dinner will be done soon enough."