16 - 'I Need to Go Home.'

While Sam and I did have something of a discussion, it didn't make the air over us any better

While Sam and I did have something of a discussion, it didn't make the air over us any better. It's still awkward as hell.

The one thing that has come out of this talk, I will say, is the new drive to go visit my mother. She can most definitely be another resource to confirm what Cas has said thanks to what he found in Heaven. I'm not sure if I can trust Heaven, I feel like they could still screw something up somehow.

Besides, I'm far from ready to accept that Sam Winchester is my dad. I've been okay for almost seventeen years without knowing. To have the knowledge hit me over the head is quite the adjustment.

No discussion of my lineage has been said since the bomb dropped a few days ago. Cas treats me the most normal. Dean and I haven't had the discussion of him having a niece. He must not be ready.

I'm back in the kitchen, eating my dry cereal like the weirdo Dean claims me to be. Munching doesn't help my thoughts any. The danger that I'm in is not lost on me. If I truly accept I'm a Winchester, then the target on me has been understated.

But why want me as an ally instead of a threat? I haven't brought myself to ask Sam that question. I mean, demon blood in my system? Unless Sam has been the perfect demon in disguise all these years, I just don't see how that's working.

Would they see me as an ally because of the power I possess? I barely even know the extent of it. I just know it's tied to high emotions.

"Seriously, kid, put some milk in that," is Dean's greeting to me this morning as he enters the kitchen.

"Nope. I'll drink it separate."

"Weirdo."

I roll my eyes. "No new case in the queue this morning?"

"Not yet. Haven't done the usual searching yet either."

"Ah."

"Hey...you know I gotta ask."

"Ask what?"

"Well, how you're holding up, for one thing. Your life's been turned on its head, it must have you spinning. You're with strangers, you've got monsters after you, and then there's the whole identity crisis. And losing your boyfriend to a demon."

I wince. "Thanks for the unnecessary recap of my life in recent months." To make things even worse, Sam has just entered the kitchen. "You sure know how to talk to kids, Dean. Real subtle."

"Well, as you can clearly see, we don't have kids running around this place."

"Right. That right is for the both of you," I try to joke. "Hey, since you both are here..." I abandon my spoon, fishing out cereal with my fingers. I pop a few flakes into my mouth. "There's something I want to run by you."

Neither say a word, they wait for me patiently.

"Things are really awkward right now, no one's denying it," I say. "We've had a lot of information dropped into our laps that have...needless to say, thrown us for a loop. I can't speak for either of you, but...there's still some part of me that's not sold on this. On being part of a Winchester family tree." I swallow. "I know Cas's source is probably legit, but...that's just one. I need one more. Someone who can really account for the truth. I need to go home, and you two are going to take me there."

The Winchesters just stare at me.

"I know, it's a bad idea. If we hang around too long, my mom will get stuck in the crossfire. But...knowing what we know, if this situation I'm in requires me to stay here longer, she has the right to know. She needs to know that I'm okay and that for her safety I have to stay away."

For a while, they drink in my words. I continue to chew dry cereal flakes, something to keep me from awkwardly occupying myself in any other way.

"Good to know you know it's a bad idea," says Dean seriously. "Unless we find a secure way to do this, it's not happening, Wills."

"Then the four of us go. We rope Cas in as angelic backup in case things, God forbid, happen." I shrug. "We won't stay longer than we need to. She needs to know what's going on."

"Yeah, because that won't send her to the loonybin," mutters Dean.

"Like I said, I'd rather her know the truth than write me off as dead. So," I look between the two, "how about it?"

"We'll need to plan it right."

"Cool, you guys can talk that out."

"Um, no, it's taking all of us. You know your area better than we do. We'll need your insight on certain things."

I nod slowly. "If that's what it takes to see my mom, okay, I'm in."