19 - Family Matters

"So

            "So..." I start over the old rock music in the Impala.

Dean focuses on driving, though his speed is very questionable. He's in no rush to return back to the house—he's purposely going under the speed limit.

Pursing my lips, I go to switch the station. I receive a light slap of my hand from Dean. I try a few more times, each time I'm disciplined.

"Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts her cakehole," he says.

"I didn't say anything about the music choice," I protest.

"You didn't need to, clearly."

"Well, I want to try and talk with you, but you don't seem to want to." I cross my arms together, giving my best swing at a moody teenager look.

"What's there to talk about?"

I scoff. "Seriously? We're gonna act like Sam isn't my...my dad. That you're not my...uncle?"

I swear Dean winces, as though the thought pains him. What does that say about me?

I try again: "Did Sam...talk to you about it, after...?"

He gives a shrug, halfheartedly. "Bits. He was still pretty shocked."

"He wasn't the only one."

"Look, in all our years of hunting...we get a lot of shocks to our system. A lot of surprises. Hell, I had a...daughter once."

Now that I can believe. I hold that biting comment inside. "Where is she?"

"...Dead."

"What was her name?"

"Emma. She wasn't human. I didn't realize it then, but, I slept with an Amazon woman named Lydia. Emma's growth-rate was...inhuman to say the least. She tried to kill me. If Sam hadn't..."

I swallow. "Do you think of her when you see me?"

He shakes his head. "No. You're not out to kill us."

But one day they might be out to kill me. I shake Finn's doubt from my mind. "I'm sorry about her, Dean."

"The concept of having a kid seemed mythical, oddly enough. Seeing her...knowing that she was blood...I know she wasn't alive long, but, I helped make her, you know? It's a piece of life that hunters don't usually get. Our job seems to only have one out...one messy, bloody out."

"Have you ever tried to leave?"

"Once. So has Sam. As you can see, we're clearly home-free."