11.5 - Put to Rest

Rest is for those who don't have a guilty heart

Even after Cas's insistence that I take it easy and rest, I don't. All I can see is Finn, him warping Cole into someone I don't recognize. All the knife wounds on Cole's body. How much paler he had looked once Finn had made his timely exit out of my boyfriend's body.

Is it appropriate to call Cole an ex-boyfriend now?

It's a very cloudy day, threatening a chance of rain. I'll welcome it, it'll hide my tears once Cas buries Cole.

It's a very somber, silent thing. It lacks all traditions of a funeral. It's also the first time I've witnessed Cas in action with angelic magic. He doesn't do the human thing of shoveling into the ground himself to dig the hole. Rather, he parts the earth, opening a hole deep enough to lay Cole down in.

It's eerily haunting, how Cas lifts Cole's body with magic, levitating him over the hole. As his body is lowered, my heart plummets into my feet. I look to the skies. Still cloudy, still time for it to rain.

Cas walks around the grave and waves a hand. I let out a startled sob as the ground begins to come together, stitching itself up. No one would ever know a body is buried here.

"W-would you like to say something, Willa?" Cas asks me quietly. He stands beside me, head bowed, hands clasped in front of him. It's the safest stance he can take, he and I aren't close enough to warrant him to hold my hand or hug me.

"I-I don't know," I say honestly. My eyes stay on the ground, the ground that looks as though it was never disturbed. "I-I don't know what I could say to make this feel better."

"You speak of the good times with him, what he meant to you. That would be the best option."

I nod. "Cole was...He didn't deserve this. H-he and I had kept our relationship secret in school, because of his popularity status. We'd made up a façade to throw girls off the scent of the trail. We got into it sometimes it was actually fun, but sometimes things went a hair too far. We'd just gone exclusive at Homecoming..."

"Was he 'the one'?"

"I don't know, Cas. By graduation, I think we would've had some idea." But now we never will. "Cas?"

"Yes?"

"I-is Cole in Heaven?"

"Has he ever done anything to warrant him a Hell sentence?"

I shoot a startled look towards the angel. "Not that I'm aware of."

"Then it's a safe bet that he's got a nice place in Heaven."

"I-if you happen to go up there sometime, will you...?"

"I will check to see if he has his own piece there."

I sniff. "Thank you."