3 - 'Who're You and Your Merry Band of Weirdos?'

"M-Marl—"

"M-Marl—"

"Sorry, Marley's not home right now." Her eyes are replaced with black holes. I'm lifted up off the ground. Not-Marley cocks her head to the side. "I always got to clean up everyone's mess. You try and kill one girl and then suddenly it all falls to Hell."

I try and pry Not-Marley's hand off my throat, but it feels like she increases her grip more.

"Don't struggle, hon, it makes it much worse on you," she simpers.

The lights cut out, plunging us into darkness. I hear Not-Marley growl, and I hear more screaming. Now, I hear gunshots. I have no idea where they're coming from.

I fall forward blindly, coughing, as I'm released. I keep low on the ground. Some low backup lights come on, and things start to become clearer. I see the man from before, firing at Not-Cole. The trench coat man is nowhere in sight. And now, there's a third guy, almost as tall (at least I think so, I can't compare them unless they're side-by-side) as the flannel guy, with longer hair, taking on Not-Marley.

Not-Cole runs off, out a pair of doors, where most likely the frightened herd of students are. I slowly get to my feet, seeing the guy with the shorter hair run out after Not-Cole. Not-Marley screams, pulling my attention.

Acting instinctively, I run towards her scream. As I get closer, the long-haired guy gets in my way, stopping me. I look at him frantically, he just shakes his head. In his hand, I notice a small recorder. It's playing something, words I don't understand.

Not-Marley's head snaps upwards, and I cringe as I hear her scream. Black smoke shoots out of Marley's mouth, and I take a few steps back in horror as it flies away, through the doors where the students are. Marley's body collapses, and I run around the guy to kneel at her body.

"Marley?!" I ask hysterically. Her eyelids are fluttering, but she's not responding to me. "Mar?" I put an ear to her chest.

I nearly give myself a panic attack when I almost miss the faint heartbeat. I let out a shaky breath of relief and rest back on my knees, trembling. The recording has stopped, now all that remains is silence.

"She's alive," I whisper to the guy, who's watching me pitifully with hazel eyes. I put my face in my hands. "I...What..."

"Let's get you outside," he offers.

I nod slowly, getting to my feet. He scoops Marley up into his arms and carries her out while I walk in front of him, shell-shocked.

The brisk air outside makes me shiver. Ambulance and police sirens are getting closer, I can hear them. Students and faculty are on their phones, texting or calling others. I remain mute and afraid. My mind can't comprehend what just happened.

Homecoming has become a disaster.

I watch in the background as police and medics arrive. They go inside to survey the damage. About a quarter of the Homecoming attendees have already left, me being the exception. I keep an eye on Marley, and the tall guy who has her, as he hands her off to the paramedics. I cross my arms and shiver through the cold.