024

The 4th of July in cousins is all about traditions. The dad's come up for the weekend, the mum's deck the whole house, the boys steam clams and shoot fireworks.

All the other Fourth of Julys, Belly and I wear just tagging along. But this year we have plans. We have friends.

"Can i finish your milk?" Jeremiah asks me, as i finish my bowl of cereal.

"Sure" I say handing him the bowl, with the shake of my head. What weirdo drinks the milk. We laugh as he begins to tips the bowl back and slurp down the milk.

"Yo, i'm going to go wash the calms" Conrad grabs our attention while walking into the kitchen "Did you get the lighter fluid?"

Jeremiah hums "Yeah, it's already on the beach" his tilts his head back, signalling towards the backdoor that leads to the beach.

"Are we done with the portrait yet?" Steven asks Susanah, walking into the kitchen, from the door Jeremiah just pointed to.

"Yeah for today" Susanah tells him, wiping off her paint brush with a cloth. "But you do look good in a dress suit. Which makes me think if Belly doesn't hurry up and ask Cam, you should go with her"

"Ew no way." Belly protest, from beside me, putting down her glass of orange juice.

"No. no. yeah, yeah" Steven disagrees with Susanah but agrees with Belly "I'm already going with Shayla"

"To the debutante ball?" Laural asks, walking into the kitchen, standing next to Susanah by the island

"Yes" Steven laughs, shaking his head

"As in escort?" Laural questions again.

"Wrap your head around it mum, all right?" Steven nods, sitting down on a stall, at the end of the island "Shayla's coming today with Nicole and Gigi. So you'll meet her"

"I already asked Cam" Belly tells us with a smile, causing the attention to go towards her

My head turns to her "You did?" She didn't tell me that.

"Yeah" She nods "He said yes" She nudges my shoulder "What about you?"

"Oh uh" I turn away, looking down at my hands on my lap "I haven't really thought about it"

"Really?" Suasanah questions me, causing my head to lift up to look at her "I thought you would have men lining up for you"

Steven lets out snort "She wishes" He mumbles. Ouch.

"I think she does" Hannah remarks walking into the kitchen "They are just to chicken to ask her" She sits down opposite me on the table.

i shoot her a grateful smile. I'm so lucky to have a friend like Hannah.

"Well don't forget Ms. Covington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow so, uh tik-tok Mads" Susanah tells me.

Great. I have got until tomorrow to find someone who is willing enough to go to a deb ball.

"I don't know my kids anymore" Laurel tells Susanah, causing both of them to let out a giggle.

"Wait" Susanah look closly at my mum "Are yo wearing makeup?"

"Ohhhhhh, she definetly is" Steven drums the table with his hands.

"So what?" She defends, fiddling with a blue cloth in her hand "We're having a party"

"I'm sure it has nothing to do with John coming to the clam bake?" Susanah questions, peeling an orange.

"Oh please" Laurel rolls her eyes "The husbands always come for the Fourth"