Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"I'm assuming that goes both ways, right?" Bella asked. "You're mine?"

"I don't share," he replied, arching a brow as he picked up her hand and kissed her palm. The light turned green, forcing his gaze back to the road.

"Me, neither," she whispered, twining her fingers with his.

The drive to the marina was quiet, save for the music playing through the speakers. It had an alternative feel, but was mainly instrumental with some ethereal soprano voice soaring above the sounds of guitars, drums, and strings. Bella hummed along with the melody, which made Edward smile crookedly.

Parking the car, he guided Bella down the pier to a sleek yacht. There were people milling about, walking up the ramp to get onto the vessel. Edward had his arm Bella's waist as he took out an envelope from his breast pocket. At the entrance, he handed the tickets to the usher and stood next to Bella as the professional photographer snapped their photo. Edward captured her chin, kissing her lips as the photographer took another picture.

Bella let out a laugh. Her eyes were shining in the dipping sun as she held his hand. Walking onto the boat, they were led to the top deck of the boat. It was elegantly decorated with ten tables set up inside. The hostess smiled, seating them at a table near a window. As soon as she left, a tall waiter approached and offered them a bottle of wine. Bella requested a bottle of chardonnay.

"Not a red wine drinker?" Edward asked, sipping his water.

"Not really. I like merlot, but I have to be at home because I get hungover as I'm drinking it," she answered. "Are you going to have some?"

"I'm only going to go for a run tomorrow and I'm off for the weekend, with strict rules of eating whatever Rose is serving from your dad. I need to gain that weight," he laughed.

"Oh, who invited you?" Bella smirked, leaning forward on her hands.

"Emmett told me to go, but I knew you were thinking about asking me, gorgeous," he replied, his grin widening.

"You're awfully cocky, Masen," she snorted. "You weren't like this when you first got here."

"I'm not cocky. I'm confident. There's a difference," he retorted. "I temporarily lost my confidence when my old gym decided to screw me over and my ex-girlfriend was getting plowed in my bed. But, I believe I've found my place here. Emmett and Jasper are becoming my best friends. Charlie is the best coach I've ever had. Better than that ... asshole who could have derailed everything." His eyes turned into green ice chips while his sexy smirk fell away.

"Caius Volturi will get what he deserves," Bella sneered, reaching for this hand, and threading their fingers together.

"The entire gym, to be honest," Edward huffed. "They're all dirty. It's not overt, but ..." He looked out the window, breathing deeply. "They lack integrity, and they almost broke me with what they did to me when I was pounded by Demetri. I see how much I lost by fighting for them as each day I work with Charlie, Emmett, and the other trainers at Bull Dog. He truly means it that the gym is a family. I haven't had that ... since my mom died."

Bella squeezed his fingers, feeling his words in her heart. He clung to her hand tightly as she murmured, "You've got us now. Once you're in, we don't let anyone go, Edward." She gently pulled on his hand, making him look at her. "Never ..." She gave him a tender smile. "The only time we let someone go was ... Jacob ... and you know what happened with him."

"I promise you that will never happen, Bella. The drugs were the main reason I wanted out of Volterra," he said. "That and my injuries from ..."

"You won't get hurt like that again, Edward," Bella argued. "We've got the best trainers, best doctors, and best coaches. Your safety is paramount."