For You [4]

"Bye mom. Bye dad." Jade rushed out of the car, to the school building.

"Wait. Do you have a club today?" Chris asked.

"Yeah!"

"On a Thursday, bub?" Leigh-Anne tried her best to keep track of Jade's extra curricular activities.

"I joined the Debate club." Jade came back over to the car when her dad held some money out for her.

"Thank you daddy." She smiled, kissing Leigh-Anne's cheek before skipping off.

"See, two months at this school and no complaints." He looked at his wife before pulling off.

"Maybe you were right, I just don't want her to grow up thinking that money fixes everything."

"Maybe it does"

"Where are we going?" Leigh-Anne asked when they passed their house.

"I wanted to talk to you about something" He pulled over in an empty lot.

"Okay"

"I uh. . . I wanted to say I was wrong."

"Wrong about what?" She shifted in her seat so that she was facing him.

"I was wrong for the way I treated you, I was wrong for taking advantage of you. I was just so insecure, I didn't want you to leave the house, or look at any other man. Fall into their trap and leave me. I didn't want you to recognize what you could do and leave me. That's why I. . . That's why I got you pregnant. I figured that if I gave you a baby like you wanted you wouldn't leave. You would be trapped with me until she was at least eighteen but you left anyway. I knew once you did that you weren't coming back. I didn't want to kidnap her because that's. . . I wouldn't want to traumatize her. . . or you. I had a talk with Jade and it was only then that I realized that what I say affects you and her. Im so used to you brushing my ignorant comments off that I didn't think it bothered you. So, for that I'm sorry. I'm sorry for these last thirteen years that I gave you hell when you didn't deserve that. Im willing to let you do what you want but I ask one thing"

"What's that?"

"That you won't take Jade from me again, that will really upset me and it will force me to file for full custody"

"Why would you do that?"

"She's my kid too, Leigh-Anne."

"The kid you said you didn't want, remember. That's why I left. You said you didn't want her. Dont pretend that you were actually acting like a parental figure. You were coming home so drunk there were times you were unconscious on the floor, the door unlocked, sometimes wide open. I told you, you had one time to violate me and I was going to leave and I did. Don't act like you're the victim. Don't Apologize and then try to put the blame on me. You're not doing this because you love Jade, you're doing it to hurt me."

"You told Jade that I brought you?"

"What? No."

"Then who did? She said your sister did"

"I don't know."

"If all of this comes out do you understand what it will do to my career? I could go to jail!"

"I don't want to talk anymore. You're so. . . Why is everything always about you? You and your career. We're a family, this should be about us, but more importantly her. She's only a child she shouldn't see us fighting everytime we interact."

"She's not a baby, Leigh-Anne. People fight sometimes, it's normal"

"It's not normal when it's all the time."