7: Shift

Authors note: Just a quick little chapter, I am going to try getting a second chapter out this week for sure—but I hope you all enjoy this one and thank you again all for the support.

I could feel my breathing become ragged as I looked at Noah, standing in my doorway of my room—his expression was blank as he looked my body over, glancing I wore a night shirt, but my brows furrowed when I saw the blood on it, not any blood—my blood. Gasping I stumbled back into my dresser one hand gripping onto the wood as the other gripped the shirt I wore; this shirt was thrown away the night I got to the motel I lived in for a while.
"You look great, Fae" Noah's voice filtered into the room as I shot my head up to see him looking my body over like he did before I left with Jamie.

"What is going on?" I looked around trying to make sense of everything.

Stepping into the room, it didn't take Noah long before he reached me, a hand cupping the side of my face as he tilted my face to look up at him. "You look great, Fae" he repeated as he leaned down brushing his lips against mine before--

Eyes shooting open, I cursed as music blared upstairs—it was Nick's music for sure as Godsmack blared, somehow I could still hear my brother singing along.
Groaning, I felt sluggish and had bit of a headache but thankfully I wasn't hungover, or least not as bad as I thought—my body moving felt slow and sore, my feet ached even before touching the floor.
I looked to see Aspirin on my bedside table, glass of water beside it, had I put it there before falling asleep?

Anxiety brewed as I tried recalling last night but the end of it was a blur, I couldn't remember beyond dancing with Jamie and all the stupid shots we took. God, we weren't even supposed to get drunk, looking down at myself I wore the dress I had on last night and my hair was a mess and what smelt like alcohol on me reeked enough where I felt like I was going to gag.
Getting up, I grabbed a clean set of clothing before taking an aspirin to help deal with my brother who continued to blast music from upstairs.
The trek up the stairs felt like a mountain hike and by the time I reached the top, the scowl had remained on my face as I looked at Nick who stood jamming out in the living room with a poor looking Jamie who had her hood over her head, shades on her face and ears covered by her hands—she had a blanket on her lap as well as a bucket beside her. That was enough to know that we really did go over our limit last night.
"Good morning, or should I say good afternoon sleepy head" Nick said turning the music down enough I could hear him.

My phone wasn't in my room and looking at the coffee table I saw It sitting there, I had no memory of even getting home last night. The TV read it was just after two in the afternoon. "Yeah, morning" I grumbled as I made my way to the bathroom closing myself in.
Showering was quick since Nick has music once again blasting. Getting out of the shower, I felt better knowing I was clean and not covered in whatever was on me last night. Changing into comfy shorts and a pullover sweater, before running my hands through my hair to get out some of the tangles.
Opening the door, Nick turned the music down again as poor Jamie had her head over the bucket. "I thought you were at home?" I asked her as she turned her head to me.

"I lost my house key at the club, they just found it this morning, so Nick brought me here after an hour or two searching in my car" she said. "God, I am never drinking again" she groaned into the bucket.

"You aren't hungover?" Nick questioned.

Shaking my head, I looked between them, "no, I mean I feel sluggish, but I think it was more from the fact we danced most likely—I don't even remember half the night" I laughed going into the kitchen where Noah sat at the table, smiling at him I headed to the fridge—only he didn't smile back at me.
"Is he annoying you with his music, because I can argue with him if you'd like" I said to Noah as I grabbed myself a bottle of water.

Drinking my water, Noah shrugged his shoulders shaking his head, "no, he's fine."

"Are you okay?"

Eyes meeting mine, Noah smiled but it never met his eyes. "Yeah, just been busy making music is all—I should get back to work, actually" he said not even glancing my way before leaving the kitchen and headed up the stairs to his own room.

What was wrong with him?
Joining Jamie, Nick excused himself to go answer the call he was getting from our mother, most likely wondering how things were going here. "Feeling rough?" Jamie groaned at my question, "I didn't even think we would drink that much. . . I don't remember the end of the night, the last thing I remember was dancing" I said truthfully looking down at my bottle of water.

"Lucky, I remember everything—including you throwing water in my ex-girlfriend's face" Jamie said.

Choking on my water, I looked at her as I coughed more. "Excuse me?" I said looking at her with shock clearly written on my face.

"Yeah, she was bugging us at the bar—she dumped a drink down your chest, and you threw water in her face, we got cut off after that and the bartender asked who to call, I told him to call Nick. . . Do you really not remember anything?" She sat back removing the shades she had on her face.

"Last thing I remember is shots and dancing" chewing my lip, I opened my mouth when she cut me off.

"You didn't do anything stupid, don't worry—Nick took me home, and Noah drove you home, we played a drinking game at the bar though. . . You told me about your crush on Noah" she lowered her voice to a whisper when saying his name, "I won't tell anyone, don't worry. . . Nick won't ever know, especially what you told me about your ex."

I didn't know what to think, Jamie studied me for a moment to make sure I wasn't going to pass out. "Look, I was drunk—I, I shouldn't have said anything and my ex you see it wasn't, like—" she raised a hand to slow me down.

"Fae, relax. . . I am not going to tell Nick; I have been there before. . . You stood up to the person who did that to me, relax and calm down or else Nick will see something is wrong" she said loud enough only her, and I could hear.

She was right, thanking her for saying she wouldn't tell anyone. I scrolled my phone as it was almost dead-on battery—wanting to be away from everyone though, I headed into my alcove and closed the door, it wasn't a huge office but It was big enough for me to work on and hide away when I needed time.
Turning on my computer, I opened a few emails to respond to when an email from Noah sat in my mailbox.

Gulping, I opened it to see he had sent me music. The title of the email was, 'since you wanted to know what I have been working on.'
Listening to the sample he sent me, I felt chills as it felt soothing in a way, his voice even in a rough draft sounded beautiful and captivating.
Opening my phone, I had Noah's number as well as the others in the house in case of emergencies—clicking his name I sent him a text.

Fae: The sample sounded amazing, definitely looking forward to the full thing. Did you want to talk music and hang out later?

Watching as the text instantly said read, my anxiety sat with me as I watched the three dots typing—it felt like hours but eventually the text came in and the smile I didn't know I had was wiped from my face.

Noah: No thanks, I'm busy.

Maybe it was me, but it felt like his energy with me had shifted after seeing him before the bar. Maybe I was reading him wrong, maybe this whole time I had annoyed him, and he was just trying to be nice since I was his best friends little sister.
Either way, it still stung.