31: The wait.

Authors note: I just wanted to say a huge thank you for 25k reads on this story. It still blows my mind that this story gets so much love and support. I truly mean it when I say thank you, with my whole heart—thank you.

"
We need a room stat—possible neck injuries, we need a CT!" voices screamed around me as my eyes fluttered open before closing again. Everything hurt, the agony my body felt reminded me of the pain I felt months prior to leaving my ex.

"
Hey, hey she opened her eyes! Can you hear me? Faith?" my eyes opened at my name being spoken feeling a wave of panic wash over me as I saw a bright light shone into my face. "Hi Faith, I'm doctor Hoffman, do you know where you are, can you speak for me?" her voice was soothing as her blue eyes looked into mine. Going to shake my head she held me gently. "No, no Faith—I need you to stay still for me, okay? You're at the hospital, you were in an accident." An accident?

I didn't know what was happening, one minute I was parked at a red light waiting to go, and the next all I could hear was metal screeching across the concrete as my body felt like it was tumbling down a mountain. I didn't know what was louder, the metal-on-metal screeching or the scream that felt like it shattered my throat.
Feeling a tear slide down my cheek, my body was in agony. Feeling the weightlessness I felt before waking up creeping in, I could hear voices rushing as machines began to beep. "
No, Faith stay with us—come on Faith" the voices around me yelling stuff I didn't understand, but I couldn't open my eyes, I was in the darkness that wanted to consume me, and in that moment I wanted it to consume me as well.

~Nick's POV:~

The rain wasn't letting up; it had been roughly three hours since Faith had left—everyone was still awake trying to phone her as we paced around the house. How could they lie to me like this? Noah looked a mess as his hair was disheveled from his hand running through it and gripping it whenever he thought she picked up her phone, only to be greeted by the same voicemail over and over again.
My phone in hand, I looked at Noah as my blood boiled under my skin once more. "You had no right to even begin seeing her" I growled out wanting to throw him against the wall and fight him.

"She isn't a kid, Nick! She was perfectly capable of telling me no, I would have respected her choice of saying no!" Noah snapped back; his phone pressed to his ear.

"You guys, fighting isn't going to help anyone" Jamie said gently standing from her seat, placing her hand gently on my elbow, I brushed her off marching closer to the kitchen—I couldn't look at her right now either, she knew this whole time and didn't tell me.

Noah looked over at Jamie who had a sad look on her face which had me seeing red. "What are you going to go after Jamie next?" I snapped earning a glare from Jamie and Noah—"cause by all means Noah, take everything!"

"What the fuck is actually wrong with you? This is why Fae was so scared to tell you!" Noah yelled stepping closer to me, I could hear Nicholas and Jolly yelling at us to knock it off, but I was ready, I was ready to fight him if needed.

Going to snap back, we all were startled by the phone in my hand ringing, my eyes widened as I watched it. "Nick, pick it up!" Jamie cried out before it could finish ringing.

Not wasting another second, I slid the bar pressing the phone to my ear. "Faith?" I asked out, I was so desperate I didn't even check the icon before accepting the call.

"Not Faith, Nick!" my mom's voice rang out from the other end of the phone, I could hear commotion in the background as I furrowed my brows. "Where is your sister?" her voice was wavering, as if she had been crying.

"Mom? What's wrong? Are you okay?" the worry in my tone had the others looking at me, "I don't know where Faith is. . . We, we got into a pretty bad fight" I admitted knowing she would fish it out of me anyways.

Noah's phone rang in his hand which he picked up after looking at the number. "Nick, your sister—I am at the airport, I need you to pick me up" her voice wavered again as if she would start crying again.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I questioned slowly.

Hearing Noah slam into the table in the hall, the photo of everyone on the table went crashing to the ground as he looked over at me. Both Noah and my mom on the verge of tears had my heart racing. "Faith was in a car accident" my mom's words echoed through me as I looked at Noah.

Both Noah and my mom said at the same time. "She's in the hospital."

~Noah's POV:~

Everything felt like slow motion, Nick telling his mom we were on our way to pick her up, to him being escorted by Jolly since no one was in any shape to drive, not us especially.
My mind felt so distant, the words clanged through me as everyone rushed around trying to gather stuff before we headed to the hospital.
My mind couldn't stop replaying that call.

Phone ringing, I stepped aside as Nick spoke to his mother, I could hear the worry in his voice—he may hate me right now, but I stayed close just in case.
The rain crashed outside as I pressed the phone to my ear. "Hello?" I said the nerves in my body were threatening to take over everything at that moment.

"Hello—is this Noah Davis?" the voice on the other end read the name.

"Yeah, I'm Noah" I said, who was this?

"Hi Noah, I'm a nurse from—" hearing the rest of her sentence had my heart thundering in my chest. "This is about Faith Folio, she currently is undergoing surgery, but she was in an accident" those words had me stumbling against the table as something crashed to the floor, the others all looking over at me as I told the nurse I was on my way.

"She's in the hospital."

"Noah?" looking to see Jamie who stood beside me, she held her bag close to her. "Come on, we're going to go to the hospital and wait for an update there, Jolly and Nick are going to go get his mom" Jamie said gently as she led me to the car where Nicholas sat in the drivers' seat.

Climbing into the backseat, I listened as the radio played softly, the radio host speaking about the storm and how there was an accident not insanely far away from where we were—the gut sinking feeling told me I knew who's car I would see when we drove past.
And sure enough, as we passed by the wreck that was described, I could feel tears in my eyes as I saw the same vehicle pull out of the driveway hours ago.
I should have stepped in, I should have stopped her leaving the house.

We arrived at the hospital, Nicholas parked the car and paid the parking meter as we made the trek inside. Nick, Jolly and Nick's mother making their way inside moments after us. Faith's mom looked like a wreck, you could tell she had been crying as her eyes scanned over all of us standing there, she didn't even hesitate as she dragged us one by one into a hug.
"Mrs. Folio, I wish I could say it was good to see you" I mumbled into her as she hugged me last.

"I wish I could say the same" she wiped her eyes as she led us to the nurse sitting behind the desk.
"My daughter is here, Faith Folio, is she okay can someone tell me?" her words clanged through me as I listened to her voice break.

The nurse nodded, understanding the fear behind a mother's voice as she glanced at all of us behind her. "Looks like she is still in surgery, if you'd like you can take a seat in the waiting room and someone will come speak to you when they can, or when she is in a room" Nick carefully escorted his mother to the seating where we all got comfortable with other families who patiently waited for news on their loved ones as well.

Nick sat beside his mother who sat on her phone, most likely texting their dad to let them know she was here safely. Jamie I knew was yearning to be close to Nick, she was waiting to hear about her best friend while I waited to hear about my girlfriend—would she still be my girlfriend?
Faith's mom looked over everyone, I knew she was assessing us. "What's wrong with you all?" she turned to Nick finally, "you said you and Faith were fighting, why were you fighting?" she questioned.

"It's dumb mom, don't worry" Nick said quietly.

"Nick, I think worrying is exactly what we are doing right now" I bit back, Mrs. Folio looking at me with concern.

He blew out air of annoyance. "Can you just maybe not get involved Noah; it doesn't concern you" Nick snapped earning a frown from his mom.

"What happened to you two? You used to be so close, what happened?"

Nick looked down, "Mrs. Folio—I, Faith and I have been dating for a few months. . . The fight was because Nick found out, Fae was too nervous to tell him and when he found out, they got into an argument" it wasn't my place to tell her about Faith exploding on Nick about her ex, that would be for Fae to tell.

Her mom looked at me with a soft smile, a smile that pained me so much because it looked so much like Faith's. "She always had a thing for you, and I am sure you are respectful to her" she smiled softly.

"Mom. . . They shouldn't be together" Nick snapped.

"Nick, that would be like me telling you not to be with Jamie—you can't control who your sister dates, you and I will be having a chat about that." She patted Nick's leg.

An hour or so passed, and we all shot to our feet when a doctor stepped forward, he looked at us with a soft smile which had my heart thundering in my ribs as I waited to hear the words. "Are you Faith's family?" she asked.

"Yes. . ." Fae's mom said.

Her smile widened as she nodded, I couldn't hear beyond the roaring in my ears. "She is out of surgery, we can take you to her now" she said gently.

I hadn't known I was crying until Jamie placed her hand on my elbow, Nick and his mom had matching tears. "Please—I need to see her" I said, a broken sob escaping my lips as the doctor nodded leading us down the hall.

Stopping out just outside of the room. I could feel my emotions running through me, everything in me screaming to just go in but my feet planted firmly on the floor as the doctor looked at us. "She needed a rod in her shoulder, she is going to scar—we checked her for spinal injuries and thankfully she didn't have any, but she did code when she arrived before we rushed her to surgery—she is going to hurt, she is going to need support. Her hip was dislocated as well as her left knee, so she is going to be in pain waking up, she still has blood on her and we had to stitch up some of her face from were we had to pull out glass, she also has stitches on the back of her head. . . If the car dragged any further, I could say she would not be alive right now" we all paled at those words.

She led us into the room, I followed in and as soon as my eyes met my sleeping girlfriend, I could see her monitor and see she had a heartbeat—more tears streamed down my cheeks as I rushed to the bathroom in her room, emptying my stomach contents into the toilet.

"Noah. . . She is going to be okay" Mrs. Folio said coming into the bathroom where I continued to dry heave into the toilet, "let it out, it's okay" she held me as I felt myself crumbling—I was selfish, this was her daughter, and I was the one falling apart. But the emotions ran through me, and I clung to her as tears streamed down my cheeks—looking out the door, I could see Nick standing there, a soft expression on his face before he exited the room.

~Faith's POV:~

Everything hurt, even my eyes being closed hurt as I listened to the soft gentle quietness of the room. Was I dead? Was this what death felt like? Twitching my fingers, I wanted to cry out as It hurt. Where was I?
Making out a sound, I could hear soft beeping as I furrowed my brows, what exactly did I remember? Thinking hard, I remember a doctor—doctor Hoffman? I remember her telling me to stay with her before the darkness swept in.
Opening my eyes slowly, I blinked at the harsh light blinding my vision as my eyes adjusted to the light. Looking around, I could make out the sunrise through the window that was curtained. What time was it? I could see LA was drenched from the storm from the previous night, but the clouds still littered the sky as the sun tried peaking through desperately, usually when it rained here—it poured.
Feeling how dry my throat was, I gulped, almost crying when it felt like I was swallowing razor blades. My eyes looked to the warmth I could feel beside me, I looked to see familiar hair spooled over a resting face as he laid with his hand close to mine.
Noah was here.
Reaching my fingers, I couldn't help the cry that escaped my lips breaking through the silence of the room like thunder, shaking Noah awake as if he was a kid who was startled awake in class, his eyes instantly found mine and I could see the bags underneath his eyes and tears already threatening to spill from his deep brown eyes. "Oh-my-god you're awake!" he said rubbing his palm on his eyes to rid of the tears he didn't want to show.

"What happened" I asked looking down at my hand that had an IV hooked into it, looking further down I saw the soft blanket overtop of me as I wore a blue gown which had a hospital design on it, panic struck through me, as I tried getting up to pull out the IV. "I-I shouldn't be here, I need to leave" I panicked trying to sit up, pain shooting through me as I felt tears run down my cheeks once more at the pain that coursed through my body.

"Faith, Fae" Noah said gently trying to keep me laying in bed as I fought against him, my sobs tearing my throat up as I needed something to drink, crying out at the pain that I was in. "Faith—baby look at me" I looked at Noah as his hands cupped my cheeks gently I could see how scared he was as I whimpered out in pain. "You were in a car accident; can you remember anything?" he asked gently.

My lips trembled as I remembered the sound of metal, the screaming, and the rain. . . Shaking my head I grabbed his shirt tugging him closer, he didn't hesitate as he carefully climbed in beside me as I laid my head on his chest. "I'm scared" I admitted, the voice sounded so broken.

"I know, me too. . . I was so fucking scared Fae. . . Everyone went to get coffee; your mom flew in" my head snapped up too fast causing me to hiss in pain. "She was your emergency contact, so was I" he seemed surprised that I had added him as my contact.

"My mom is going to lose her mind if she knows about us" I said.

Noah reached beside the bed, pouring some water into a cup for me as I took a sip. Feeling my stomach disagree, he quickly grabbed a bucket from the bedside as he held it for me as I emptied what I had just put into my stomach into it. Seeing blood made my heart rate go up and Noah seemed to notice. "Don't be worried, they said when they did surgery they had to put a tube in your throat to help you breath. . . They said this is normal" he assured me, handing me water to rinse out my mouth.

Hearing a gasp, I looked up at see my mom standing there with Nick. "Fae" she rushed to me hugging me gently, "oh my god, I was so scared" she hugged me tighter earning a hiss before she said sorry. "Noah was here this whole time, he refused to leave the room at all in case you woke up—I think you picked a good one" she smiled brushing my matted hair down.

My eyes widened as I looked at Noah. "I told her, she was stressed, and she needed to know what happened" he said gently as he took the water from me.

"Mom, I am sorry—you didn't need to come all the way out here" I said softly trying not to look at my brother who watched from the doorway.

"I am staying a few days, I wanted to make sure you were awake before we headed back to your house to start getting a bed ready for you. . . The doctor told us you are on bed rest for a few weeks, so we were going to make living easier for you" it would be hard with my bedroom in the basement and Noah's room was upstairs.

Nick looked between us before pulling out his phone. "Mom, the others are getting a head start—we should go, Noah are you coming or?" Nick's voice wasn't filled with kindness, and it broke my heart hearing the tone he used to his best friend.

Noah's eyes darkened, as he sat back in bed, arm around me. "I am going to stay with my girlfriend" my mom looked at Nick who seemed pissed at that term, kissing my cheek my mom said she would be back as soon as she can, most likely after some sleep and a shower which I didn't mind.

Once they left, I looked at Noah who smiled softly at me. "Show me what I look like" I said, his brows furrowed. "Noah—everyone looked at me like I was a porcelain doll, show me" I said. He nodded his head as he pulled out his phone turning the camera on before handing it to me. A sob escaped my lips as I touched my face gently, I was bruised for sure—there was small cuts that peppered my skin as the bigger cuts had stitches. My lip was busted, and there was stitches under my eye on my cheek and stitches above my brow. Seeing the stitches on my collarbone had me gasping and looking away. "Oh my god" I cried feeling my emotions hit me like a train.

"Faith, you are beautiful no matter what" Noah lifted my chin, so I looked into his eyes, "do you hear me? You. Are. Beautiful" his lips pressed gently on mine, and in that second I could have sworn the world faded around me. How could he make me feel like this in the worse time of my life? Pressing his brow to mine, I listened to him as he spoke gently to me, "we are going to get through this, together" I could only nod.
I was going to get through this.