Chapter 6 - Carlos' Chapter (2)

"I see Ron more like a teddy bear. Something Cale probably can't live without."
- Carlos Henituse

B - narration in first person
I - narration from the memories in omniscient perspective
N - narration from the outsider's perspective

~~

"Mommy!" A four years old Carlos rushed towards his mother, tackling her to a hug earning a laugh from her mother.

Deruth watched this with unexplainable sadness. His first wife looked so alive, like she was still there, so vibrant with big smiles. He almost can't look away. If not for seeing his face in the background hand in hand with another child then only did he remember he has a new life now, and he's also happy of it.

"Is the surprise for today ready Mother?" Carlos whispered to his mom earning him a grin.

"Cale will be so happy!"

Today me and my mother will be showing Cale a surprise. One in which I hope will ease up his loneliness inside the house.

"So, what did you two say we were doing again today?" Deruth carrying Cale in his arms asked. his other hand gently leaving his son's back to carress the other boy who was smiling at him.

"Over here daddy!" Carlos grabbed the hand that patted his head dragging him to the inner parts of the garden.

"Hey slow down there Car! I'm carrying your brother!" Carlos ignored the man as he continuously dragged him with Jour following behind with an amused laugh.

"I hope you'll like it Kiki!"

Cale who was still craddled in his father's arms let out a hearty laugh. "I'll like anything you give me."

The two adults could only look at each other in silence only listening to the their children as they walked towards wherever Carlos is taking them.

Carlos stopped at the deepest part of Jour's rose garden where a Gazebo is now placed. The marbled small circular  building with four temple like pillars a two step staircase leading to one big bed in the center of the place.

"Tadaaaa!" The young red head now halting to a stop excitedly yelps with his hand spread out as if showcasing the place. "This gazebo is an outdoor bed for Kiki made with the marbles of out territory and our craftsman installing the overalls. Then Ron helped me make the bedddd!!"

There are many days where I'm with my mother and Cale is either left inside our room or with Dad in the office. And any of those room whenever I look up, I can always see my brother peeking from his book to glance at the garden outside.

Was it longing? Was it envy?

I was too young to understand then... that maybe he just wanted to play with me too.

I pestered Ron and Mother for days into agreeing to this. At first they reject the idea wholeheartedly, I understand. If Cale even took a step out, it'd increase any chances of him dying. And my insistence might also be a cause of that.

But I don't want Cale to only see the sky from our room window.

Everyone in the room frowned at the happenings in this stranger's memories. He looks like a young child not older than four in this memories and yet he's already acting like a proper older sibling.

"So how's it? Do you like it?" Young Carlos grinned in all teeth.

"Kiki?" Carlos called out upon noticing how his brother did not reply.