Just the Beginning

Early in the Morning

"Caroline, you can't have the yogurt today. You already had breakfast, baby."

"Sissyyyy, I'm still hungwy."

"Okay fine, i'll bring a pack of gummies for you to eat. Come on, you're gonna be late to school."

I pick up Caroline and take her out to the car to put her in her car seat. I throw my book bag in the passenger seat and put on Moana music. Caroline starts to sing loudly as I pull out of the driveway. We live in a small sage green house. It's two stories but only 2 bed rooms and 2 bathrooms. It has a really nice kitchen and living room. We also has a big deck in the back. Our childhood home.

"Okay, now listen. You're gonna be a good girl today okay Caroli? Promise me you're gonna be good."

"I pinky winky pwomise"

"Good, now I love you and i'll be back soon."

I get back into my white Honda Accord and put on "Good Days" by Sza and drive to school. I arrive to my class building and grabs my things out the passenger seat and head to class. I finally realize what i'm wearing, a white knitted sweater with flared leggings and converse. I kinda like how this sweater feels.

I'm a full time student at NYU but I also am a manager at a gym nearby

I'm a full time student at NYU but I also am a manager at a gym nearby. I usually pick which days I want to work, which is amazing when you're a mom, well kinda.

I walk into my class and walk to a seat in the back. I like to sit in the back so I can leave easily if Caroline ever has a problem. Caroli is my little sister but she's practically my daughter. I always call her Caroli or C because I love nicknames. When our mom passed, Caroli was 3 and now she's 5 and in kindergarten. Our father left us after our mother died. So I had to take on the role of mom to Caroline.

"Okay class, today's lecture will be on how technology can be used to better the study of chemistry.

I don't actually want to be in this class but I need it to get the credit, so I don't really pay attention to what this woman is saying. However, I love learning so I take notes and try and learn something useful.

And that's when they walk in. . .

The entitled, loud, and self-absorbed student athletes. Specifically basketball boys. Usually, I don't notice them, but they seemed more excited than usual, I think they have a game or something.

They sat behind me which makes me a little nervous but I focus back on the lesson.

Then it happens, something I also dread. Caroli's school called me. She always has emotionally episodes where she doesn't want anyone else but me and won't stop until I come to her. I've tired to help her but I think she's afraid of me leaving her. Doctors have told me that she will grow out of it, but i'm not so sure.

I grab my stuff quickly and sneak out the door. I race to my car and drive out of my parking spot. I don't even care to put on music because her school is only 10 - 12 mins away.

When I get there she's crying and screaming on the floor. Once she saw me, she stopped immediately and wiped her tears and grabbed her shoes. I knew she was just doing it for me to come get her, yet I don't care. I just want her to be happy. After I sign her out and grab her stuff, I take her back to my campus. By now, class has ended so I need to ask my teacher about any information I missed.

After a few mins of figuring out when our next test is, I drive Caroli and I home and settle for the rest of the evening.