Teenage Memories - Mason Mount

At 15 you were convinced that Mason was going to be the guy that you married. At 17 he broke your heart because of football. At 19 you were able to move on. At 21 you graduated uni and got a job that you hoped would be a stepping stone to your dream career. Now at 24 you are in a happy place, at least that's what you believe...

••••

"I don't understand why you're dragging me to this" you complain as your mate tugs you towards the entrance of the party venue. "You've been working wayyyy too much Y/N, this is me telling you to relax and have a few drinks with people you don't know" she replies so you roll your eyes. "Don't do that, this'll be fun and you can go absolutely crazy with no consequences" you shake your head, "when have I ever gone crazy?" she shrugs then pulls you inside. The space looks like a high end club and it makes your jaw drop. "I know, they rented out the whole place for this engagement party" your mate says when she sees your expression, "what the hell kind of couple does this" you exclaim while waving your arms around, "mhmm well you haven't met them yet" she adds before further dragging you through the party goers.

As the two of you pass people you're thankful that your mate convinced you to wear the leather pants and glittery top because no other outfit would measure up in this crowd. When the two of you arrive at the bar she tells the bartender your orders so you turn around to lean against the wood surface. It's while you're waiting there when you see him across the room. Your breath hitches for a second before you look towards your now concerned mate, "what happened?" you shake your head in response ready to lie but she places a hand on your arm. "Don't you dare say nothing, you have that look in your eyes that only comes around when —" she trails off before quickly spinning around to see where you were looking. "Fuck! I swear Y/N I had no idea Mason would be here, I truly thought you wouldn't know anyone because they're my colleagues" you keep your head down just in case he did see you, "it's okay, you didn't know they're guest list" she squeezes your hand gently, "do you want to leave?" you take a breath then look up, "no, it's been nearly ten years there's nothing there" she nods and grabs the two drink off the bar, "to us" you smile and tap your glass against hers for the first time tonight.

A couple of hours later you're watching your best mate dance with her longtime work crush, an unexpected feeling of longing tugging at your emotions. It makes you wonder if there's something or maybe someone missing in this life that you've always dreamed of. "Care to dance Y/N?" you spin around at the question, your eyes meeting familiar brown ones that you haven't seen since you were a teenager in Portsmouth. "Mason" you whisper, not wanting to believe that he's standing in front of you after all of these years. He smiles and that's how you're certain it's him. "C'mon let's get out there to show 'em how it's done" you smile then place your hand in his outstretched one, "my dancing has not improved since secondary" he shrugs, "ditto" you let him pull you closer and a giggle leaving your lips when he starts to move your hands with his in silly movements.

In no time at all you're just as you were at fifteen, totally infatuated by Mason. The music changes a few times before you decide that you need a break from the dancing. When you venture back to your table and away from Mason you notice your mate watching you with a huge smile on her face. It's not until you sit down that she scoots closer, "was that you having a good time with Mason of all people?" she asks then wiggles her eyebrows teasingly, "you wanted me to loosen up so I did, it just happened to be with him" you reply nonchalantly. "Bullshit Y/N, don't act like you didn't enjoy every second with him" you shrug then turn your head. You find Mason's gaze in the crowded room which is already on you, "I felt like we were fifteen again but we're adults now, we lead very different lives so it wouldn't even make sense to get hung up on each other again" she nudges your shoulder to get your attention, "don't make up excuses, we both know that you can't settle on a man because he's always been the one for you, I'm pretty sure everyone in this room could see if not feel the chemistry".

You furrow your brows in worry, "I don't want him to leave again". She takes your hand to squeeze it, "what makes you think he will, he's playing footy at the highest level with the same team he signed with as a child, there's nowhere else to go from here" you flick your eyes to Mason at the mention of his career, "I'm just the girl he dated in his hometown for a second, why'd he want someone from his past when he could be with someone suited to his current lifestyle". Her lack of response makes you look away from the footballer. "You still love him" she whispers so you smile sadly, "do you ever stop when it comes to your first love?" you reply then she pulls you in for a brief hug. "Do you want to leave?" you smile thankfully and that's all she needs to start gathering your belongings from the table.

As the two of you are walking towards the exit a hand comes to your shoulder. You jump in surprise but calm down slightly when you see that it's just Mason. "You're leaving?" He asks over the loud music, you bite your lip then nod and notice his eyes flicking down to the subtle action before moving back up to your eyes. "But we haven't caught up yet" he adds so you shake your head, "then we'll have to do the same thing ten years from now" you say making him frown. "What are you on about Y/N?" you shrug, "we're in two different worlds Mason, what's the point of this?" he suddenly takes your hand then leads you out of the loud club where your best mate is already waiting. "The point is that there's no one like you in my world" your breath catches at the passion in his voice "Mase" he shakes his head at your quiet plea, "all I know right here and right now is that I never stopped loving you so if someone wants to stop us from being together after all this time apart I will fight them" you start to tear up and your first instinct is to wipe them away but Mason beats you to it. When his thumbs brush away the tears rolling down your cheeks you take a shaky breath. "Don't leave" you whisper, he lowers his head slightly to look into your eyes, "never again Y/N" he replies just as quietly. "There was no else, I only love you" he brings you closer so that his lips are barely brushing against yours, "I've never wanted anyone else darling" you fully press your lips to his as if you finally throw away your doubts and fully embrace your love for the footballer that was always included in your fondest teenage memories and will furthermore be in your memories now and in the future.