The Umbrella - Daniel Ricciardo

You're scrambling as soon as it starts to rain significantly at the Hungaroring, trying to rescue your belongings and half done sketches. When you were given the opportunity to tag along with Aston Martin to put your drawing skills to the test you didn't think it would actually rain, with the back-to-back forecasts for the races in Austria setting a precedent in your mind. People around you scramble as well, opening up umbrellas and shrugging on rain jackets as dark clouds block the sunlight. What you don't notice during your rushed movements is a certain Aussie watching you from the McLaren garage.

As you pick up a sketch that has been blurred due to the rain, the droplets abruptly stop falling. You look up to see an orange and black umbrella above your head before you peer over your shoulder, seeing Daniel Ricciardo makes you blink a few times unsure if you're imagining this moment. He smiles at you hesitantly, his headphones around his neck instead of over his ears, "you alright?" he asks breaking you out of the trance you were in. "Um yeah, these aren't looking too good though" you reply while holding up the sketches that were ruined before you could shield them from the rain, he frowns, "oh" you shrug, "I'm at fault, I didn't think to bring an umbrella even though I knew I'd be out here" he smiles again which makes you do the same. "I'm Y/N Y/L/N" he takes your outstretched hand to shake, "I'm Daniel Ricciardo, but you probably already knew that" you shrug again, "yeah but I'm not one to refuse an introduction" he chuckles and squeezes your hand leaving you feeling something you've never felt. You let go of his hand when your things start to slip out of your arms, so that you can bring everything closer to your chest.

"What brings you to Hungary on this lovely Sunday morning?" he suddenly asks making you laugh and look up. "Aston Martin invited me to sketch some moments of this weekend, they're trying out something more handmade" you reply with a smile. He opens his mouth to reply but someone calls him before he can say anything, you bite your lip watching the handsome Australian peer over at his team for a second then turn back to you. "I gotta head out there" he explains, you smile up at him, "it's alright I have to go find some shelter from this rain anyways" you reply, he nods and you take a look past him before breaking into a run towards the Aston Martin garage, hearing his deep laughs as you do so. As you step into the garage you look back to see Daniel still watching you, he waves before spinning towards the McLaren team waiting for him. Walking further into the Aston Martin garage you can't help but smile while you find a seat for the race, your mostly dry sketchbook in hand needing to be ready for lights out.

••••

A few hours pass, the chaos from the opening lap still on everyone's mind as penalties get distributed amongst the grid. You take one last look at the crowds in the stands, taking one peek down at your nearly finished sketches that will be collected by the social media team. "Hey Y/N you gonna come celebrate later?" you smile at one of the girls working at Aston Martin, "yeah I think I'll stop by" she gives you a thumbs up before disappearing around the corner. You shake your head not believing that you're agreeing to party with the Aston Martin F1 team. As you walk towards the motorhome you notice the dark clouds approaching again, but you don't worry about it figuring that you'd be inside for the rest of the evening.

Later you step into the club where many people from F1 are celebrating the end of the first half of the season. You bite your lip and smooth the bandana top you're wearing with your favourite pair of skinny jeans. "Wow you clean up nice" you spin around at the familiar voice seeing Daniel smiling while his eyes take you in, the intense gaze making a shiver go down your spine. "You clean up well too Ricciardo" you murmur while taking in his awfully colourful shirt and dark skinny jeans, he flexes dramatically making you laugh, "can I get you something to drink gorgeous?" you blush at the compliment but nod nonetheless. He brings a hand to your back, leading you through the crowd of rowdy drivers and fans until you're standing at the bar, his front against your back while flagging down a bartender. You can't help but relax into his warm body hoping that it's not noticeable, but when a hand rests just under the front of your silky top you know you've been caught. "Comfy?" he asks quietly, "psh its alright" you reply trying to act like you aren't completely at his mercy because of the way he's holding you. "Y/N!" someone yells making you turn your head, the Aston Martin girls are waving you down from the other side of the club, you smile and look up at Daniel, "gotta go hotshot, thanks for for the drink" you say and kiss his cheek before sliding out of his arms to rush over to the women that have welcomed you warmly to the paddock.

Throughout the night you and Daniel keep taking less than subtle looks at each other, causing the Aston Martin women to tease you. The McLaren driver looks your way the same time that you look his way, he winks making you bite your lip and look away, a blush coming to your cheeks. Someone nudging you're shoulder makes you look up, "we're going back to the hotel, you coming?" one of the women says, you nod and let them pull you through the crowd and out onto the sidewalk. "Shit" you mutter the rain drenching you the second time today as you watch the women giggling as they run back towards the hotel. The rain stops above you all of a sudden, "it's not an umbrella but I hope it'll get us back to the hotel less wet and mostly dry" you smile as Daniel moves to your side while holding the McLaren team coat over the both of you. "It'll do just fine" you say and bring an arm around him to stay close as you run towards the hotel together.

Walking into the hotel your hair wet and top sticking to your skin it doesn't look like either of you had any shelter from the rain. Daniel convinces you to dry off in his room seconds later, the practical side of you not present while he tugs you into the elevator. The tension is thick on the way up to his floor, your fingers automatically going to your wet hair, twisting it nervously, you peer over at Daniel who is looking at the doors a smile on his face. Before you can say anything there's a ding and the elevator opens, the Aussie takes your hand, easily leading you to the right hotel room. When he opens the door he lets go of your hand, disappearing into the washroom for a second, reappearing with a pile of towels in his arms. You take one off the pile and start to pat yourself dry, squeezing as much water as possible out of your hair while walking over to the window overlooking the city, never having imagined that you would end up in a hotel room with Daniel Ricciardo of all people.

"Here this'll be comfier" you turn around to see Daniel holding out a hoodie and sweatpants. "Thank you" you reply with a shy smile before grabbing the clothes and going to the washroom to change. It takes you mere seconds to shed out of the wet clothes you were wearing and into the warm oversized outfit, you smile as you braid your messy hair away from your face. Once done you step back into the room you fidget with the long sleeves of what you're wearing, "I just hung my stuff to dry in there, hope you don't mind" Daniel looks up from his phone, smiling as he watches you approach the bed where he's sitting, "no worries Y/N" you nod before looking down at the floor. You suddenly start to flop the long sleeves around, enjoying how big the sweater is on you, a laugh makes you look up, Daniel smiling softly is what you see, "that sweater looks better on you" he says so you shrug and continue to play with the sleeves flailing them around your body like a child would. "I never thanked you for saving me from the rain twice today, even though the second time wasn't as successful" he shrugs while standing up, "I'm glad I was the one to step in" you smile and he steps closer not leaving much room between you two. "I owe you one, or maybe two" you murmur while looking into his dark but kind eyes, "let me take you to dinner and we'll be even" he replies making your stomach flutter nervously, "I'd really like that" he brings his hand up to cradle your face gently, "great, can I kiss you now?" you laugh but pull his lips down to yours in response. The Aussie brings you closer making you believe that it was some kind of twist of fate that Daniel was the one that came around with an umbrella on the rainy day in Hungary.