𝐗𝐕𝐈

TW: Death and saddness

[Hold On - Chord Overstreet]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Beverly's POV

Today is the day I have been putting off for as long as I can think. I didn't know If I could do this alone. So, that is why Bucky is walking with me through the mountains. With one hand, he is holding my own, and in the other, he is holding a bouquet of red roses. Originally, it would be me, Bucky, and Steve, but that changed last minute. This morning, he came to our hut and was in tears. He was hyperventilating, and telling us that he couldn't do this. We completely understood and told him to use our hut to his advantage. The last time I saw him, he was borrowing some of Bucky's clothes and getting ready for a shower.

Now, Bucky and I are making our way through the mountains at dawn, using the sunlight as our guide through the trees. When we make it, my grip on his hand tightens. The last time I was here, it was overwhelming, but today it is overbearing. There are more people this time. More roses. More gravestones.

Since the last time being at the cemetery, I heard that T'Challa asked a few members of the Dora Milaje to keep it neat and tidy. They cleaned the moss off the concrete, cut the grass around the gravestones, and placed more roses over the dirt as a sign of respect for the fallen loved ones. I admire them for that.

Bucky passes me the bouquet of flowers, letting go of my hand after kissing the knuckles. He told me today was my day to say my goodbyes, and he is just here for emotional support. I kneel down beside the first cemetery, which was placed beside Peggy's. I trace the engraved words on the concrete with my thumb, memorizing every letter.

Natalia Alianovna Romanova

Fighter. Sister. Friend.

'Some souls just understand each other upon meeting.'

I pick out a rose from the bouquet, placing it in front of her gravestone. I make sure it is neatly placed, knowing Nat would have my head if it wasn't perfect. She was always a perfectionist, to the very end. The rose sits perfectly on the ground, the petals facing the clean concrete.

"Hey, Nat." I begin. "I know we couldn't see each other like we promised, but just know, that I'm not mad that you did it. I know why you did it. It was either you or Clint, and you love Clint more than aything in the world. I would do the same if Bucky or Steve was in his place."

I look back at Bucky with tears begining to brim in my eyes, and I know that with his enhanced heraring, he heard every word I said. But, out of respect for me, he doesn't comment on it. He just lets me have my time alone with them. Although, I can see slight tears building in the corners of his eyes. I know this is just as tough for him as it is for me. His guilty conscience is alive as he stares at the gravestones of those he loved and the ones he was forced to hurt.

"You know," I turn back to face her grave. "I'm gonna miss you so much. I didn't even get to say goodbye. I don't know what I would have said, because it would have been too hard. But, at lteast I would have been able to see you one last time." I begin to sob uncontrollably. "Even though we met in horrible circumstances, I am so happy to call you my friend."

I stand up on my feet again, feeling my knees tense from being dugged into the soil for so long. They click back into place as I make my way over to the next grave. The grave that I know is going to ruin me. I do the same as I did for Natasha's grave, but this time, slower. I take my time here, knowing this is going to take all strength I have left in my body. Before talking, I read the words dispalyed on the gravestone, loving every word that was carefully and lovingly placed into the concrete.

Anthony Edward Stark

Inventor. Father. Hero.

'There's always a home for you here in my heart. I'll leave a light on.'

His gravestone is crammed in between those who made him, him. It took a little longer to place here than the other gravestones, but it was worth it. Tony deserved it. Before I prepare myself to speak, I look over at Howard and Maria's gravestones first. I beg and pray for them to give me any strength to say what I need to say. I just can't deal with losing another family member.

"Tony," I babble. "I'm standing here all because of you. Everyone is. We owe our lives to you. Thank you for saving us. And, even though I knew you in such a short amount of time, you will always be my family. I'm so proud to call you my nephew. And, I know Howard and Maria would be proud of you to. You were exactly the son Howard would talk about wanting to have. He talked my ear off about how he would make his son the next Einstein. I guess, dreams do come true." I chuckle slightly. "And I know I can't make up for the things I have done, but, I promise to look out for Pepper and Morgan for you. It's the least I can do for family."

With the remaining flowers left in my hand, I stand up from his gravestone. Bucky walks over to me hestitantly, checking that I am done. I nod my head at him, letting him get close. He takes the flowers from my hands, pluking one out of the rubber band, and kneeling beside Tony's gravestone. He places a rose beside my one, looking up at the concrete.

"Thank you, Tony. We owe it all to you." He whispers.

When he stands up, I wrap my arms around his body, holding him close to me. He kisses the temple of my head, the kiss lingering. He is silently telling me that everything is going to be okay. Even though I don't fully believe him, I appreciate the gesture. We grab each other's hands, his thumb rubbing the back of my hand comfortingly.

"Goodbye, guys." I wipe the remaining tears, walking away with Bucky.

———————————————
PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT