𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

TW: Threatening behaviour and words

TW: Threatening behaviour and words. (I've changed the order of the original show in this book to make John Walker the antagonist, to begin with.)

[Crazy - Gnarls Barkley]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Beverly's POV

For the past 5 minutes, I've been pacing the hallways of the police station. I can't help but feel stupid for the words that slipped through my lips. I admitted that I don't deserve everything that I've been working so hard to achieve. In front of Bucky. In front of Sam, who I know will have an opinion on it. I can't shake the painful face that Bucky wore after I confessed. It hurt seeing him like that, but it hurt, even more, knowing that I was the one to put it there. Now, I'm starting to regret coming here to help with everything.

Bucky and I should have just stayed at home and carried on with our peaceful life. We could be sitting on our couch, cuddled up, enjoying a glass of red wine, and watching a movie together right now if we didn't get involved. But, we decided to stick our nose into Sam's business, and now we are paying the price. I could have lived a blissful life, with Bucky not knowing the thoughts that swim around in my brain constantly. But, for some weird reason, I'm glad that he knows. I hate lying to him, and it always blows up after he finds out about my lie. We have made it necessary to be by each other's side throughout our healing process, and it would be hypocritical of me to lie to his face about my feelings when I preach to him that he needs to speak up about how he feels.

The office door opened, and the sound of heavy footsteps walking through the frame. I look up from the marble floor, stopping my pacing in the process. Bucky, Sam, and Dr Raynor walk out of the room, all of their facial expressions different. Dr Raynor looks tired and fed up about the therapy session that she ordered. Sam looks annoyed, his eyes glued to the floor. But, Bucky looks enraged. He quickly looks me in the eyes, but as quickly as it came, his eyes shift down the hallway. The motion hurts, but before I can relish in the pain, a migrating voice interrupts us.

From down the hallway, walks John Walker, sporting the Captain America uniform. He has a smug smirk on his face as he makes his way over to us, his dark blue boots carrying his way. I groan at his appearance, trying to turn away from him, but Dr Raynor blocks my exit. I roll my eyes at her, she always tries to make me face every obstacle in my way. I have to refrain from pushing her out of the way, but I don't want to get arrested. We are in a police station, after all.

"Dr Raynor, good to see you again." He outstretches his hand.

"John," She shakes his hand.

"And I'm glad to finally meet you three." He looks at us. "I'm Captain America, I've heard a lot about you. You are practically famous." His laugh is boisterous.

"John, this is Beverly Stark, Sa-" Dr Raynor begins to introduce us.

"I know who they all are." He smiles. "Beverly Stark," He points to me. "Sam Wilson," He says, pointing to Sam, "And, Bucky Barnes."

"James," Bucky states.

"I'm sorry?" John looks taken aback.

"My name is James Barnes to you. Only my friends call me Bucky."

"I hear you, loud and clear." John looks annoyed at Bucky.

"Anyway," Dr Raynor interrupts their pissing contest. "I best be off." She turns to Bucky and me. "I will be seeing you two soon for your next therapy session."

Dr Raynor walks off behind us, down the hall and towards the exit door. I follow her movement with my gaze, wanting so desperately for something to happen to her that will bring me a laugh. I don't mean something that will hurt her, I'm not that mean, but I mean something like she is locked in the station, and she is frantically trying to find a way out. It may not be funny to you, but anything is funnier and more entertaining than the conversation that is brewing between Sam, Bucky, John, and me.

"Alright, time to get back to work." Sam claps his hands.

He begins walking down the same path that Dr Raynor walked, Bucky and me following behind him. But, I roll my eyes when I hear heavy footsteps following behind me. I move my head to the side, seeing John jogging up to us, walking out of the exit door. I tried to slam the door in his face, but he was quicker than me. We stand outside of the police station, the night sky dimming our surroundings. The only thing illuminating the area is the yellow streetlights, shining down on the grimy concrete.

"So, what are we going to do about this group?" John asks.

"We?" Bucky and I question.

"Group?" Sam speaks up before us.

"Yes, we all need to put our strengths together, and fight against the Flag Smashers," John answers. "Do you know who I am talking about?"

"We were a little distracted to get to know this group," I mumble.

"Well, this group is destroying everything in the name of Thanos," John explains. "They believe that the world was better when half the world was snapped."

"You've got to be kidding me." Sam groans.

"What are we going to do?" John requests.

"Well, I can tell you this," Bucky steps forward. "We," He points to Sam, me, and him. "Are going to go back home, and think about what to do next. You," He points at John. "Can go back to the hole you crawled out of and keep silent."

"Do you know who you are talking to?" John puffs up his chest.

"What he meant was," Sam glares at Bucky. "We need to get some sleep and talk about what to do next tomorrow. It has been a long day, John."

"I understand that," John nods his head. "But, let me tell you this," He stalks towards Bucky. "You don't want to work with me, fine. But, if you get in my way, I will not hesitate to force you out of it."

John walks away from us, turns into an alleyway, and is unseen after that. We are all silent after his departure, and don't dare to look at each other. Individually, we are angry about something, but together, we are furious at John. He tries to be a team player but ends up fucking everyone over. He better not get in our way. Making our way down the street, we silently make our way through the roadways and try to find somewhere to stay. I have no idea what we are going to do next.

And I don't think Sam or Bucky do either.

———————————————
PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT