𝐈𝐗

TW: Disrespect and tears

[Home - Edith Whiskers]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Beverly's POV

Holding hands, Bucky and I walk through the hallway, and towards the entrance of the palace. Today is the day that I have been stressing and dreading. I've had a few sleepless nights up until now, and I told Steve the news only 2 days ago. Walking out of the building, we see the quinjet, a group of servants helping to shove all the baggage inside the jet.

Today is the day.

The Avengers are leaving Wakanda.

They are all gathered around the jet, talking with each other as their suitcases are being tolled on the jet. Their weaponry is stored in locked cases, being wheeled up a ramp. Some of them acknowledge us when we walk over, smiling at our nervous faces. Pretty much everyone smiles, except Steve.

No one expected me to explain it. I didn't need to, they all heard it. No one said anything about it, and I left, running back to the hut. I fully expected Bucky to leave me alone that day, not wanting to speak to me. Not many people knew this, but he was quite close with Peggy. They wrote to each other a few times during the war when I was training with her. He asked about Steve and I, and she would tell him about what we were all getting up to. But, he surprised me by showing up at the hut and hugging me until I fell asleep on his shoulder, the exhaustion of crying taking over me.

Now, we are watching them getting ready to leave the country. They are needed back in New York and are going to prepare for this unknown being that is threatening Earth. We still don't have a definite plan, but we are prepared to fight. Even though Bucky and I decided to stay behind, we will be right behind the team when they need us.

Nat and Wanda walk over to me, seeing that everyone else is too tense. There has been some painful tension between Steve and me, but it is awkward between the team as well. A few people tried to talk to Steve and convince him to talk to me, but it would end in an argument. He is refusing to speak to me at all.

"I can't believe we are already saying goodbye." Wanda sniffs.

"We'll see each other again, don't worry." I pull her into a hug.

Sniffling comes from behind me, and I turn my head in the hug, seeing Nat holding herself, whipping her eyes. I give her a pitiful look, ushering her over to join the hug. She does, laughing as we squish Wanda in between us. I wrap my arms around her as best as I can, trying to soak up this moment as long as possible. Tears begin to uncontrollably form in the corners of my eyes, the realisation hitting me again.

"You better come and visit me." I laugh through the tears.

"We promise." Nat smiles.

We break from the hug, whipping our eyes dry. Wanda walks over to Bucky, hugging him. Not many people realise how close they are. They see each other as a form of comfort. Like siblings. Like how Steve and I see each other. Tony distracts me from the pain forming in my throat as I bite back tears, and pulls me into a hug. I cry softly into his neck.

"You'll be fine, Kid."

"Oh, god." I laugh at the nickname.

"But, in all seriousness, he just needs time to grieve. He will come crawling back to you before you know it."

"Thanks, Tony." I smile, pulling back from the hug.

"Anytime, kid."

"Hey," I roll my eyes. "I'm older than you, kid."

"I don't care." He begins to walk away, towards the jet.

Bucky and Steve pull from a hug, clapping each other's shoulders. Bucky looks like he has tears brimming in his eyes, and all I want to do is pull him into a hug and let him know that I'm here for him. But, I need to say goodbye to Steve first. So, I walk towards them, taking a deep breath. Bucky steps back, seeing that I'm walking towards them. He gives me space to talk to Steve, and I happily take it. But, just as I make it towards him, Steve turns around. He walks onto the jet, and boards it, not looking back.

The doors shut behind him, and the Avengers all strapped inside. The tears that I have been fighting to keep in my eyes, have fought and won the war, and are trickling down my cheeks fastly. Bucky pulls me into a side hug, wrapping his arms around my body. I turn in his grasp, holding him tightly. Tears mixed with his shirt, the material sticking to his skin. I look up at Bucky, seeing is glaring at the quinjet. If looks could kill, there would be a hole in the jet and Steve would be fizzling away into dust right now.

Lights turn on underneath the jet as it levitates off the ground, the wind blowing the grass and trees around beside it. Leaves scatter around the group as the jet gets closer to the sky. Through the window at the front of the jet, I can see Steve and Tony flying the quinjet. I look up at Steve, but he is trying his damn hardest to not look back at me. That thought brings pain into every part of my body. As the jet flies away, Bucky wraps his arms around me further, letting me know he is here for me.

The only person with me right now.

———————————————
PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT