Chapter Ten

Devi

His laugh is like a drug, at least what I'd imagine one to do to me. I've never done drugs before. However, when it spills past his lips, it makes my insides feel like butterfly wings flapping in the wind and my brain short circuits, and I have to remind myself he's got me locked in here. For a few seconds, though, all I can picture is those girls in movies dancing around happy and carefree at bars with friends. The movies Lily used stream on her phone when we were bored.

Forcing myself to brush off the feelings he ignites in me, I look back at Lily in the cell behind him. We've been playing this game for hours, and eventually, it turned into us sharing stories, funny ones about our lives. I didn't have much to share. My life hasn't been all that good to find time for humor, but he had plenty to fill the quiet. I almost forgot about my friend, my family and my plans. Lily was more than a friend. She was all I had for a long time. I couldn't get sidetracked because two Alphas made my wolf whimper and cry to be near them. It wasn't like I could anyway behind these bars.

"I leave tomorrow morning. I'll make sure to bring down a few things for you before I leave. I've got to go to bed, though, before my brother comes and finds me." He interrupts my thoughts.

Frowning, I tear my eyes away from Lily and look up at the dark-haired man. Baldric, the mean Alpha, that's what the girls called him. He didn't seem so mean, honest to a fault, blunt, and unwavering but not mean. But maybe it was the way his eyes held so much love when talking about his friends and family that gave me a different impression. Nobody who was mean could have so many loved ones around them, and he had plenty.

Maybe I was the mean one. I didn't have anyone. The longer I stayed here, I'd infect them all.

Biting my bottom lip, I nod and tuck my hands in the front pocket of his sweater I've got on. "Ice-cream?" I joke.

Smirking, Baldric nods, standing up. "Better than the breakfast they'll be serving anyways. I'll see about some warmer clothes too."

Looking down at his bare chest, I advert my eyes before he can catch me checking him out. His pecks covered in hair, even with it traveling down his stomach, I could tell he had amazing abs. It was the way it cut in right above his sweatpants that kept my cheeks pink when I finally met his eyes again.

"Thank you." I sigh, peeling myself off of the floor.

I didn't need warmer clothes, but it was easier to accept them than explain why I wanted his sweater. Especially when I have no intentions of following through. My only priority was Lily.

Waving his hand through the air, he turned, picked up his string from his hoodie, and walked off.

The silence consuming me, I should feel safer here, and yet all the quiet does is make my heart race. I've been in the woods too long. Anytime the forest goes quiet, something bad is going to happen. Prey hiding from predators. The birds and bugs hide while danger lurks.

And right now, it felt like danger was near.

Glancing at Lily, I hum an old nursery rhyme. I used to sing for her when she couldn't sleep. Her wolves ears perking up, the black tips pointing at the ceiling. Her fawn fur covering her beautiful form, hiding her human self from me. I missed her, everything about her, I could remember so much, but I was starting to forget the little things. Like where her birthmark was, was it her right or left thigh?

I couldn't let her stay like this much longer. My wolf, Minsi, was distracted by those Alphas. I wouldn't let myself cave to her animal instincts. I've had enough sex to know it only leads to problems.

Oddly, that's how I ended up here if I really think about it. Fucking Logan, letting him in until he forced himself and Lily into my lives full time. He made me love them, care for them, then he died. Now I'm here because I couldn't leave her like this.