31

Devi

Staring down at Lily, I cross my arms and sigh. Luna Margaret is still silently observing and I can't do anything I actually plan on doing. The two hour conversation was apparently not enough, so she followed me down here when I tried to excuse myself. I'm not sure if it was genuine interest or something else that kept her by my side, or distrust. Either or, I was stuck in an unsettling predicament. I either wasted another night, or I take a chance and do what I wanted to and risk her judging me.

"Do you need a key?" She finally breaks the silence we'd been sharing for the last twenty minutes.

Rubbing my elbow, I glance at her out of the corner of my eye. Was it a trap?

Letting out a laugh through her nose, she pulled her hand from her pocket. A key dangling from her finger on a simple ring. "One of the perks of having owned the land first. You could use it, if you want."

It had to be a trap. Squinting my eyes at her, I turn on my heels to meet her eyes head on.

"Or we could keep standing here twiddling our thumbs." She shrugged, nonchalantly.

Huffing, I put my hands on my hips and my eyes drop down to the medical bad Kelly still hasn't taken back. "Is this some kind of test?" I shake my head, looking up at Margaret.

Shaking her head, she sighed, stepping around me. Her heels clicking as she steps to the door and pulls the silk scarf from her neck. Pushing the key into the lock, she grabbed onto the bars with a silk covered hand.

Kicking the door open, she tilted her head towards the now open cell. "You're patient, but I am not. Go, show me what you've been up to."

Biting down at my bottom lip, I ponder my words. "I haven't gone in before." I answer honestly, avoiding what I have done.

"Do you not want to?"

Lowering my eyes to the medical bag, I huff. "Are you going to tell the Alpha's?"

What she's offering is tempting, too tempting. I can't chance it, though. Not if it's going to end up biting me in the ass.

"I don't see a reason to. Not unless something like death or you actually succeeding happens." She smiles, the corner of her eyes crinkling. Her teeth reminding me of those ads Lily and I would watch while watching tv, perfectly white, straight, I'm almost shocked they don't sparkle.

"So, no matter what happens unless I die or Lily shifts you won't say a word to them or anyone else?"

"Oh, I never said that. I'll definitely be telling Adira, I tell her everything. The boys won't know, though. I won't tell anyone that's here."

"Are you going to lock the door once I'm inside?" I scowl. There had to be a catch.

Dropping her hands, she slides the scarf between her fingers back and forth. "Look, if you don't want to go in that's fine. You need to do something, though, so figure it out. Standing here won't help her."

Nodding, I cross my arms and stare down at my bare feet. Wiggling my toes, cold from the concrete floors, I weigh my options.

This might be the only chance I get to actually go inside with Lily, but I don't know if it's the right choice just yet. I've wanted to go in, but now that I can I don't know what to do even if I'm in there.

Slamming the cell door shut, my head snaps up and Margaret is smiling at me. Lily growling as she pushes herself off of the floor, her sleep disrupted.

"What? I thou.."

Shoving me into the wall behind me, Margaret takes my shoulders in her hands and slams me against the bars again.