Chapter 55: Leave No Regrets

??? (Aether's Pov) 

To be honest, I'm not sure when it started. My memory has been skewed. My earliest recollection is of a woman walking away from me as I begged her to take me with her, as she turns back and apologises for bringing me into this world. 

The majority of the time I spent in Kyoto was filled with more terrible than nice memories. Tamamo-No-Mae, Rosaria, Lisa, Ganyu, Mordred, Raikou, and Himeko are the only Kyoto residents I actually care about. 

The rest of them either don't matter to me or have done me so much harm that I can't forgive them.

But now that I know where I came from, I can completely grasp the damning words they gave me. And yet... it still hurts, to this day, all those comments still hurt me, but I've buried them deep within my heart behind all the anguish I felt after Mei died. 

Wait... who exactly is Mei? Mei, Me, Mei...

Aether: Mei...

When I opened my eyes, I was in shackles, on my knees, and the room was pitch black. I opened my mouth, but my throat was so dry that uttering anything seemed like a chore.

Aether: Mei... who is Mei?

In front of me was a screen. When I tried to lift my head, I realised how weak my entire body was. I tried and tried, only to fail with each attempt until I was finally able to lift my head and gaze at the screen.

It was a visual image. When I saw this photograph of a gorgeous woman, I got a sensation of desire and melancholy due to having identified who she was.

 When I saw this photograph of a gorgeous woman, I got a sensation of desire and melancholy due to having identified who she was

Aether: Mei..?

As my eyes searched for the woman depicted in front of me, the image began to move. This was not a image; it was a portion of my memories being played out in front of me. 

More and more screens began to appear in front of me, each one displaying a different aspect of my memories. As I stood there watching, my eyes wet and tears began to fall. 

Many feelings ran through me: agony, grief, rage, and melancholy. It haunted me as painful memories flashed before my eyes. 

Some of the memories being played to me had to do with Kyoto. Having the people of Kyoto hate me and treat me like an outlander, some were about my mothers, both my adoptive and biological mothers, others about my sister Mordred, and yet more about the one I loved the most after becoming a shell of a person, Mei. 

I bowed my head in defeat, my tears having transformed into uncontrollable sobs. As I let go of feelings that had been building up inside of me for years. 

Aether: I can't handle it any longer! Just bring a stop to it all!

Despite being shackled, I was able to reach the ground with my head and slammed it on the ground with every ounce of strength.