five

Lesson One -

Taylor's driver picked the dancer up at her apartment. She tried to carry her bags, but he said it was Taylor's order for her not to. She liked that people seemed afraid of her because, to Karlie, there was nothing to fear.  All the things that she looked up about the older girl proved she cared about others. She had donated to countless charities and helped start so many young artists' careers. Karlie could sense that either her personal life was very private or people didn't ask.

They were at least thirty minutes away from Manhattan that she knew. When she was nervous, she would watch and count the cars that passed by, and it caused her to check her phone every few seconds. Her driver opened the door, and he helped her to her feet. Taylor greeted her. She was in a sundress and leggings, which was fitting for the April weather in New York. Karlie stood there awkwardly. She didn't know if it was okay to hug her or wait for her. These things confused her. Taylor smiled sweetly as she walked over.

"Welcome to Staten Island, sunshine." Karlie beamed at Taylor's nickname for her. The songwriter had already made her feel so important in ways no one else has.  Taylor guided them into the mansion. A calico cat rushed past Karlie's feet.

"Shit. Sorry, I forgot to ask. Are you allergic to cats?"

"I'm a pretty big fan of cats." Taylor smiled as she picked up the cat.

"This is Meredith Grey Swift. I have another, but she likes to hide. Her name is Olivia Benson Swift. She is a little white ball of fur." Karlie giggled as she petted the cat in her arms. She never pictured Taylor to be a cat person.

"You have access to all rooms, except my room... and this is your room." Taylor opened the double doors, and Karlie watched in awe. The paint was a light purple with a king-sized bed. The pillows were fluffed, and the white blanket was tucked neatly into the mattress. It reminded her of a fancy hotel room. The sunlight shined through the window. There was so much light. She couldn't wait to practice dancing in the room.

"Taylor, this is bigger than my apartment with Sean! This is too much. I can't possibly accept this!" She placed her index finger on her lips to silence her.

"Stop it. You deserve this and so much more, okay? Do you like the color I picked? I noticed a hair tie on your wrist, and it was purple." She cupped her cheek. Taylor was so gentle and considerate.

"You notice little things like that?"

"Of course I do. I'm a writer, after all."

She added with a wink.

"The purple is perfect. Thank you again for this."

Taylor nodded her head before she spoke.

"I have a meeting I need to take care of, so I won't be able to help you settle in. But, I made reservations at six for dinner. I'll see you then. Make yourself at home."

Taylor was gone, and Karlie's nerves came back. She worried again about not living up to Taylor's expectations. All she wanted was to make Taylor proud of her. The dancer glanced around the room and noticed the walk-in closet. It was something Karlie always wanted. When she walked inside, she realized it was filled with designer clothes and shoes. When she looked at the tag, she wondered how Taylor knew her sizes. There was a note on a black and white dress.

I expect to see you in this dress tonight.

The simple words made her heart beat faster. She couldn't wait to impress Taylor.

It took her longer than usual to get ready. She was so used to jeans and a shirt or, better yet, her leotard. The dancer always had a taste for fashion, just not the wallet for it. After applying make-up, she debated on if she should pull her hair up or leave it down. She decided to leave it down since Taylor had never seen her with her hair down, at least in person.