CHAPTER 53

"According to all the witnesses and proofs presented in these trials, the jury has concluded that Mr Lucius Malfoy is guilty," the head judge said, "However, considering his position and status, it is understood that Mr Malfoy's role is quite vital to this ministry. Therefore, we will not lock him in Azkaban. But he will be under house arrest for the next ten years. The number of years can be decreased if Mr Malfoy stays on his best behaviour. Every year, Mr Malfoy will enjoy a sixty-day period of his choice during which he will be allowed to leave his house but must report to the ministry his whereabouts."

Draco saw his father let out a sigh of relief. His mother had held his hand. Draco sat behind them, watching Yula wipe the sweat off his face.

"Thank you, Jury, for your service today. The court is now adjourned!"

The people stood in their places, bowed and left. Draco waited for his father to finish talking with everyone as some congratulated him. Then there was another group who hated him and spoke ill of him. They wanted his father to be locked up in Azkaban.

Draco stood in a corner, trying not to get noticed. But then he heard someone calling out, "There's his son!"

Draco's grey eyes quickly lifted to see a crowd of people marching toward him with rage. He took a few steps back in fear as they neared. Their bloodlust eyes demanded justice.

The ministry guards quickly invaded and prevented them from drawing closer to Draco. They raised their wands. The head guard warned, "The violence at the ministry will not be tolerated!"

The people backed off at once. The guards were obviously skilled people and doing their jobs— to protect anyone from harm within the walls of the ministry. Even if that person was a death eater and responsible for the loss of many lives.

Lucius and Narcissa soon ran toward their son, with their lawyer Yula following behind.

"Dray, are you alright?" Narcissa asked.

"I'm fine, Mother," Draco said.

"These people are not the only problem." They all turned their faces to Yula, who spoke with fear. "When this news makes it to Azkaban that the ministry has pardoned Lucius Malfoy, they will be even more enraged, the death eaters there."

"Those brainless creatures don't understand how important it is for me to stay out of prison to carry on the mission," Lucius gritted his teeth.

"But, Mr Malfoy..." Yula said when Narcissa interrupted.

"I don't want to know anything anymore," she said, "All I know is, my family is safe right now. And we all are together. Why don't we celebrate this moment?"

She touched Draco's cheek, humming in question. He tried to smile and nodded in response.

"Yula, you are also invited," she said. They turned to leave.

"Draco!" A feminine voice distracted him. He stopped while others carried on.

As soon as Draco turned to the voice, Pansy hugged him tightly, almost sobbing.

"I missed you so much," she said and pulled back. "We missed you so much."

Draco saw Blaise and Theo behind them with a faint smile. He let out a low chuckle, trying not to get emotionally weak.

"How are you, Pansy?" he asked as she stepped away from him.

"I'm... well. Could be better." She sniffed. "How are you?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "Missing here, but I'm fine."

"Hey, Draco." Blaise patted his back. "We missed having you here."