CHAPTER 11

Draco stood by the window, watching the lawn outside the manor. Not even birds seemed to fly inside. It felt like the Malfoys were exiled even by nature.

It was his second day at the manor, and it had started to feel suffocating. Draco hadn't spoken to his father since he arrived. Lucius seemed to be keeping himself locked away in his room except for dinner. Draco's mother was the one to welcome him at the gate, talk to him, and ask him about his stay in the muggle world, but not Lucius.

It didn't matter to Draco. He believed Lucius was going through a phase of embarrassment and regret where he couldn't face anyone.

Draco was invited to join his parents at the dinner, but within two weeks, he had grown used to eating alone. Another reason was he didn't want to see his father.

After reading the daily prophet, Draco was surprised that he didn't feel sympathy toward his father. Lucius hadn't been the worst father, but he was mistaken when he chose Draco to be a death eater. Narcissa was the only one to understand what Draco was going through.

Draco wasn't ready to forgive his father yet. And perhaps, he wouldn't be able to talk to him the way he should. Draco needed time - a day at least.

Watching his reflection in the window, Draco recalled his former self. He was wearing his black suit and blond hair - neatly combed. He looked like Draco from the seventh year. He was reminded who he was - a student, a wizard, a pure-blooded wizard, a Slytherin, a seeker, a Malfoy.

A death eater.

"Draco," Lucius' reflection appeared from behind Draco. "Did you have a good sleep?"

Draco met his father's eyes in the reflection and nodded. His face showed no expressions.

"How is your health?" Draco managed to ask.

"Better," Lucius replied.

Draco turned to face his father. Lucius looked to be having a conflict within himself.

"Shall we have breakfast together?" Lucius asked.

Draco considered his father's request and agreed. They both sat on the lawn, facing each other.

"How are you adjusting in the muggle world?" Lucius asked.

"I'm not settled yet," Draco replied. "It will take some time, but I think I'll manage. What other choice do I have, really?"

"You do," Lucius said. "You can live here with us."

Draco did not reply, pretending not to have heard it.

Lucius cleared his throat and continued eating.

"How are things at the ministry?" Draco asked.

"I won't lie. With every trial, it seems to be getting worse," Lucius replied.

"Is Yula still fighting your case?"

Yula was Lucius' lawyer, fighting his case at the ministry.

"He is," Lucius took a bite. "He looks pretty confident given the case."

"Has he been able to gather any evidence?" Draco asked.

"Nothing for now," Lucius replied. "It is difficult in such cases to come out innocent."

Well, you need to be innocent for that to be proved.

Draco knew his father wasn't innocent. Rightfully, he belonged within the walls of Azkaban. Unlike Draco, Lucius had fought alongside Voldemort, taken lives, and showed no mercy.

Draco remembered being scared at the timely meetings. He couldn't kill Dumbledore even when he knew his failure might lead to his death. And on top of that, he had lied about identifying Potter.