CHAPTER 18

Y/N's POV

Just as I was about to sit in JIM's car, I heard Draco calling me. I didn't believe it was him until I turned around to see him.

Draco's face was tense, like worried. Aria wasn't with him. I looked at him without any expression.

"Hey, what's up, man?" JIM asked.

"Can I talk to Y/N alone?" Draco asked.

"No," I didn't know why I said that. I didn't feel like talking to Draco anymore; I didn't want any of his explanations.

But he walked closer to me. I faced the other side, and he spoke nevertheless.

"Y/N, what you saw was..."

"I know what I saw, Draco!" I interrupted him. "And don't try to tell me it was fake. Because I know it wasn't."

"It was all part of my plan," Draco said.

"Seriously? That's what you reason it with?" I asked. "I cannot believe you'd go so low to find out the truth with someone who possibly is to be blamed for your humiliation."

"But I didn't kiss her!" Draco shouted, and it scared me. It seemed as though he was tired of explaining and wanted me to believe him. But I saw what I saw. How could that be wrong?

"And why do you care whom I kiss?"

These words of Draco honestly hurt me. But they also got me thinking about what Draco thought of me. According to him, it shouldn't matter because I was no one. So, I decided if that's what he wanted - it wouldn't matter to me.

"Fine," I said. "Do whatever you want. I don't care anymore, Draco. Did you hear me? I don't care about it!"

I turned and sat in JIM's car. Dani and JIM were already seated.

As if realising what he had said, Draco tried to stop me, saying, "I'm sorry, Y/N. I didn't mean to say that. Please, hear me out."

But I slammed the door shut without responding.

"Let's go," I said to JIM.

"Are you sure, Y/N?" Dani asked. "Draco seems to..."

"Yes, I'm sure," I said. "Now, drive."

JIM nodded at Draco before driving away. I didn't look at Draco but saw him through the mirror, standing on the pavement, his body hung with the weight of despair.

***

Draco got back home soon after Y/N left. He had waited some more time on the pavement, then paid his bill and drove away without informing Aria.

Draco did not care how drunk she was. She would take care of herself. She wasn't his responsibility. No. Draco's responsibility was to tell Y/N the truth to ensure her that he believed her and was now aware of the reality. He owed an apology to her, to a muggle.

Draco shook his head. He would have never thought that a muggle could become so important to him. His father would clearly despise his behaviour. But Draco wasn't his father. Having lived his life among the discrimination of the blood, Draco wondered if such things mattered anymore.

Salazar Slytherin, Tom Riddle, Lucius Malfoy and many more people like them considered the muggles and the muggle-borns unworthy of learning magic. So, was Draco also prevented from making muggle friends?

No!

Draco was tired of living by these rules anymore. He hurt the muggle girl who cared for him more than her health. No matter if she wasn't a pureblood, she had a pure soul. And even though she wasn't a witch, Y/N had Draco under her spell.