50| Letting Go

~You love with your soul, not just your heart~

Evangeline's PoV
I was pacing back and forth in my old room. I didn't want to stay here any longer. I don't understand anything. I don't understand it at all!

A knock sounded on the door making me stop in my tracks and stare at it. The door opened slightly, revealing Tobias. He seemed stressed. But what does he have to be stressed about?

We stayed silent for a moment as he shuffled inside, clearly feeling awkward or nervous. I doubt he was nervous because in all the time I've known him, he's never once seemed unsure of a decision he's made. I know he thinks everything out. Plus, he's pretty good and hiding his feelings.

"I bought you," he stated. Well done, captain obvious. "If I didn't, he would've taken you and you wouldn't be treated the way you are here."

I stared at his face, wanting him to continue. I've had some time to think and I managed to express how I felt to him that night and now I think it's time I listen to him. "He would've taken you and put you to work. He would've given you away to work for free."

I took a deep breath as what he said made sense in my head. "I bought your freedom. He won't be coming after you now."

I took a deep breath. "Thank you for that," I told him. "Thank you for protecting me but I just-." I stopped and took a deep breath as I tried to gather my thoughts. "I just feel humiliated at the fact that you had to buy me from another man even though we're a couple. That's not normal, Tobias! Buying people is not normal anyway."

"I know it's not," he said softly.

"I'm not angry at you," I told him honestly. "I mean, I was before but now I'm not. I understand why you acted and said what you did that night. You did it to protect me the best you could. I'm just angry at how I was degraded in front of everyone."

"I completely get why you'd be angry. I get it."

I bit my lip, thinking about what I know will have to come out of my mouth next. "Tobias, I don't think I can survive in this world."

"What?"

"This life, Tobias, isn't for me. I can't handle the violence or the guns or anything really. I don't want to be bought. I can't be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life, wondering if that old man is gonna come and take me."

I can handle most things but I'm done with violence. I've grown up being beaten, I've grown up watching my mother be beaten. I'm done with seeing blood, cuts and bruises. I can't handle any more.

I've never even really touched or used a gun. I've never been to school so I can't really help out with the number side of the mafia.

"You won't be apart of that life," he promised me. I took a deep shaky breath as I listened to him. I could feel my eyes beginning to water as I knew what I'd have to say. "I'll keep it away from you. I'll keep you hidden from that world. As for the boss, he won't be coming back for you again, I can promise you that."

"Tobias, it's apart of you," I said, my voice cracking slightly. He took a step towards me. "It'll be as if you'll be living a double life. I don't want that for you. I want you to be able to come home and talk about what happened at work but that can't happen with me."

"Eva, don't," he told me, as his hand shot out and lightly caressed my cheek, wiping away a stray tear.

"Enrol me in a school and let me leave," I whispered, afraid if I spoke any louder I'd burst out into tears. I watched as his face contorted between the feeling of confusion and sadness. I felt my heart break as he dropped his hand.

"You wanna leave me?"

I hesitated for a moment before slowly nodding my head.

He took a deep breath and stepped back from me, creating distance between us. The emotions that had crossed on his face had vanished as he wiped his emotions away and replaced them with a blank look.

"I'll enrol you in a place of study and we'll set you up with a place. After that, it's all on you." He didn't say another word as he turned and left me all alone.

A single tear fell from my eye.

I'm doing this for myself. I need to protect myself.

I'm not safe here. I know it and he knows it that's why he's not stopping me even though deep down I wish he would've fought harder for me to stay.

Tobias' PoV
"What crawled up your ass and died?," Eros asked me with a chuckle as I ignored him. "Tobias?"

I ignored him as I made my way to my office. I slammed the door behind me and resisted myself from punching something.

She's leaving me. She's fucking leaving me. The one girl I actually feel something for, the one girl I let meet my mom leaves me. She changed me in so many fucking ways and she doesn't even know it. And now she's leaving me.

I paced back and forth and hit my head with my hand as I tried to forget about it. But I couldn't. She wants to move on in life.

I was glad when she told me she understood why I did what I did. But then she told me it was the humiliation that pissed her off. The problem is the fucking mafia. The problem is the fucking boss.

To keep her, I'm gonna have to get rid of the fucking problem.

I grabbed my phone and found a number I doubted would work. To my surprise, it did. I waited to the voice on the other end.

"Tobias?," the familiar voice said. "What's wrong?"

She knows me too well. She told me to only call her when I need help and I hate asking anyone for help so knowing I'm coming to her for help, she knows it's fucking serious. She'd never thought I'd take her up on the offer.

"I need your help, Caterina," I said as I pulled a small box out of one of my drawers in my desk. I admired the stunning engagement ring I had bought for Eva, suddenly being filled with hope.

However long it takes, I'll make her my wife. She can say she's leaving me but there's no fucking way I'm gonna let her leave so easily.