41| Parent Trauma

~Tough times don't last~

Evangeline's PoV
Loud knocks sounded on the door but I was too tired to move. I cracked an eye open to see Tobi laid on his back fast asleep with the covers just reaching his waist. The knocks sounded again.

Suddenly, Tobias' body was on top of mine shielding me from whoever was at the door. A flash of a shiny gun caught my attention. "Sorry boss," the man at the door said. "We've got a situation."

"Don't fucking walk in next time," Tobias snapped at him. Once I heard the door close, Tobias got off me making sure to not show me the gun.

"You seriously sleep with a gun?," I asked him as I sat up in bed and wrapped the sheets around me.

"I lead a mafia. There's no fucking way I'm sleeping without a gun," he told me as he kissed my head.

"So you hear the door opening but you don't hear him knocking?," I asked chuckling slightly. Tobi shrugged his shoulders and my heart warmed at the fact that his first instinct was to shield me away.

We stayed silent for a while as he walked around. Suddenly, he sat beside me on the bed, still not dressed. "Do you regret it?," he asked me seriously.

"No," I said softly with no hesitation. He's my safe place. There's no place else I'd rather be than here with him.

A relieved smile fell on his face, bringing out his dimples. "Good," he sighed out. He sat in front of me for a moment, clearly contemplating on if he should say something.

"Say it," I encouraged him.

"I love you," he breathed out. I know it's hard for him to express his feelings but with me recently he's been doing great.

"I know you do," I said softly. "I heard you last night."

"You heard?"

I nodded my head. "And I love you," I told him with a deep breath, sure of my emotions. I purposefully didn't say 'too' because saying 'too' makes it seem like a chore, like you have to say it back.

He leaned forward and connected our lips before standing up to get ready. As I watched his back muscles flex, a memory came to mind.

Our first official date.

We had it a while ago. It was something simple. We had dinner and he took me to see the sights. I feel as though nothing can top our unofficial date when he took me to see the stars back when I had first arrived back in America. That was magical.

I got up from the bed dragging the covers with me as I made my way into the bathroom. I stood under the steaming hot water, enjoying it. My body had gone back to normal. It looks normal now as all the bruises have disappeared. All that's left of the wound now is a scar. I left the bathroom singing a song I recently heard. It's All of Me by John Legend. I love it.

"Date today. In an hour. Wear a dress," Tobi told me just as he left the room. I walked into the closet looking at my side of it. He took up one half and I took up the other half.

I pulled out a beautiful floral dress. It was white with blue flowers all over it. I stared at my shoes, deciding to go with white heels. I was brushing my hair just as Chi walked in.