23| Free Man

~In the end, you only have yourself~

Evangeline's PoV
I paced back and forth in my room, keeping an eye on the time when suddenly I was summoned downstairs. "You have a phone call," the housekeeper told me as they guided me towards the phone. After thanking them, I picked up the phone and hoped it was who I thought it was.

"Caterina?," I spoke gingerly.

"Evangeline," she breathed out, on the verge of crying. "I can't do it! What if my father finds me? He'll kill me!"

"The plan is all good," I told her, trying to reassure her. "We went through it all last night. This is the only way you can be with the love of your life."

"I know. I know. But I'm scared. What if it doesn't work out?," she spoke shakily.

"If you can't do it, then leave it," I told her. "I understand why you can't. I'd probably be the same if I was in your shoes."

"I-I just don't know what to do," she sobbed out.

"And that's okay," I reassured her. "Just get ready. You're getting married."

"I guess that's all I can do right now," she agreed after a moment of silence. "I-I think I'm gonna go and get ready."

"I think that's a great idea," I agreed with her before cutting the call. I let out a sigh and put the phone down.

"Eva," Tobias spoke as he neared me. My back tensed as he neared me.

"Tobias," I spoke. "What are you still doing here? It's the big day."

"You've never been to a wedding, have you?," he suddenly asked me. I paused for a moment before slowly shaking my head.

For some reason, I wasn't afraid of him. I should be because of what'll happen to me but I'm not. I guess I've sorted accepted what'll happen to me. I've barely lived a life so I'm not leaving no one or anything behind. It'll be like I never even existed. And I think I'm okay with that.

"I don't have any other family," I spoke slowly before furrowing my eyebrows. The thought of any other family members never even crossed my mind. I could have aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins.

"What?"

"I-I'm not sure if I have any other family."

"With no family and friends you wouldn't have gone to a wedding," he finally out together. I nodded my head.

"Enzo is missing your big day," I noted. He shrugged his shoulders. He stood still in front of me for a moment with his hands stuffed into his pockets. He wasn't wearing his suit yet. His eyes gazed into my soul almost as if he was searching for a reaction from me.

He's falling for you. The words Caterina had thrown at me the other night hit me as he stood in front of me.

"Go and get married," I told him. "I'll see you guys soon." With that, I gave a small tight lipped smile before brushing past him and heading towards the stairs.

Tobias' PoV
I held my breath as she walked past me, not wanting to take in her sweet aroma. When she passed me, I let out a deep breath before realising what I just did.