~ tower ~

Kanye West ~ Flashing lights
"We hardly talk, I was doing my thing"
———————

I was about to drop myself out of the window when I stopped myself and climbed back inside. Rafe bursted through the door just as I sat on my bed.

"The fuck are you doing?"

"I'm sorry. I just.... I don't know."

"Don't fucking do that."

I heard the front door open and Rafe left my room, I heard him talking to Ward. The talking turned into yelling, then silence.

I walked out of my room and listened, Ward was apologising to Rafe. I don't know what for. I heard the door click and ran back to my room, watching Ward leave and go to Sarah's room.

I followed.

He smiled at me and let me walk in first.

"She might calm down if you're there."

I nodded and walked in, sitting next to her on the bed.

"You okay?"

"What do you mean am I okay? Of course I'm not okay!"

"You're not a pogue Sarah. We're not pogues. You need to help your family. Not them, because I'm telling you, they'll just end up stabbing you in the back."

"Really? It seems more like you stabbing them in the back! John B is meant to be one of your best friends! And now you're helping to get him arrested instead of Rafe!"

"You should be doing the same! This is your family! Not just a random group of teenagers, they don't trust you! If they didn't trust me before all of this why would they trust you!?"

I got up and walked out of the room.

"She's not gonna listen to me, I think you need to talk to her"

I followed Ward into her room, this time sitting in a chair in the corner rather than being close to her.

"Dad what's gonna happen to Rafe?"

Ward sighed. "Nothings gonna happen to Rafe."

I watched as a tear ran down her cheek.

"Excuse me?" She paused for a minute. "What do you mean nothings gonna happen to Rafe that doesn't make any sense!"

"I know it seems that way Sarah but-"

"He shot her!"

She turned to me.

"Jules... please."

I stayed silent. Ward tried talking to her again, staying calm.

"Listen sweetheart you grow up in this world where there is good and there's evil and that's how it should be because that's... helpful, when you're young, you need some kind of... structure."

I watched as she stayed emotionless. Her eyes still glossy but no tears leaving them.

"But there reaches a point when you realise that the world isn't organised along some divine idea of right and wrong. Its not. It's something else.... It's family, and tribe."