9.

* * ☾ * *

Healer Rhea's POV

Whatever had possessed her had now caused her to take the given strides through the back terrain of the Red Moon pack. But being covered in absolutely all of her leftover deterrent, she should be safe from the king's guard—The Enforcers.

She knew, deep down in her heart, that gut feeling was burning for a reason. Had the Rogue not attacked, then perhaps she would have had another day, maybe two. But if the King wasn't in Red Moon yet, then she may have been able to stay for a few days and plan accordingly, finally taking up that mentoring that other packs were begging her to.

Yet now it was all unplanned and she was just hoping that the pain wasn't giving her false directions, but who could say otherwise? Rhea had no map, no compass, and no sort of light to guide her way.

She was more or less feeling the trees for their support and to guide her further.

Hours later, Rhea was utterly thankful that the moon was high rung in the sky, and illuminated. But with the thought of sweet young Romulus so close, she had to remember that he was no longer a young pup—He would be a man—a King.
And while she tried to stray from the politics, it was difficult considering how close she is to Alpha Stephen.

She did find herself supporting Romulus' decisions, some were questionable—And others she wondered what the hell was he thinking. And that is why Rhea thought it plausible to run, that the time apart had nulled the promise made to one another.

That her pretending to be dead issued a sense of mistrust and betrayal, but Rhea remembered those first few years of healing being some of the hardest days she fought through.

Besides the starvation, the dehydration and exhaustion from working endless days and not having enough funds to provide for those who had taken her in, let alone herself.

Had Rhea been raised without morals, she would have ventured down a path of sexual work, like most of the humans in the packs surrounding the kingdom had done. They managed wonderfully and made high tips from both humans and wolves alike. Even now, as her boots were soaked through and she was nearly out of both pain tonic and scent masker, she contemplated previous decisions that had gotten her here as she arrived towards a small stream. Soon enough, she bent down and twisted the top of her leather bottle to fill it up. Reaching into her belt and crumbling a small piece of dried bark into the container.

Making it safe for her to drink.

Thinking about the glorious life she could be leading with the attention of men at her beck and call, perhaps she could have become a wolf's personal kink and attendant. Rhea knew a former handmaid having been that successful, but what business did Kestle have in contact for more than protection tonics?

Yet in the middle of her desperate gulps, she turned behind her—Hearing the warning howl just off in the distance behind it.
It only confirmed her suspicion that those in Red Moon pack had figured it out.

Found the truth.

But Rhea hoped that it was a lead to the Rogues tormenting the other packs, as it came as no surprise since she had treated a few dozen guests in the past couple of days. With that in mind she had caused her to skip the inn just a few miles back—If the families were coming to stay in Red Moon, then that meant there truly was no other place to house them.

One thing Rhea knew for certain, males—No matter if they are human or wolf—Were above asking the other for help.

In the midst of her plan building, she allowed the moon to give her a soft blessing, one she remembered fondly that Romulus had whispered when the moon was featured in the sky even when the sky was still blue.