Chapter 43

The aura gleaming through the windows is beyond warmish and bright that it burns my eyes and throbs my head.

Learners and teachers pace back and forth, in and out, around and about the dining hall. Chairs and tables screech behind me, then ahead of me, then right in front of me. I hastily cover my ears with my hands to block out the earsplitting noises.

My surroundings are so strident and stuffy - I cannot breathe. I can't focus. I can't think.
I can't listen to my own subconscious!

Goddess of sleep didn't reason with me before the crack of dawn. At the crack of dawn. The dreamy moment in between - when the light from the heavens kisses the sky and a cold mist hollers in the air - or after that.

Why?
Oh, simply because I kept seeing Passion...everywhere. The usual.

In the nightmare, I remember that for a mere second she was on my bed, with her arms wide opened, a contagious grin pasted on her giddy face. When I leaped on the springy bed to deliver the embrace, she vanished into ashes and faded with the wind blowing from the opened window.
Leaving only whispered words in french as she left.

"Je vais...être la plus...grande et la plus méchante joueuse que tu...aies jamais vue."

And just like that, I was all alone.

I hugged myself, frowning in agony. Shivering from the breeze slapping my skin, I glanced to the window across Drae's bed, spooked. Recalling neither he or I opened it for fresh air, I rushed to shut it but froze when I saw little hands grasping the window sill. The colour completely drained from my face as I saw her...again.
Holding on for dear life so she wouldn't fall to her death.

Confused and frightened, I reached to pull her up. But before I could, her sweaty fingers slipped and she screamed all the way down to her death with my mother's necklace in her hand. The hard land below her dissolved into deep murky water swallowing her whole into its narrow sea. And just like that...I was alone...again.

I shut the window feeling empty within, then turned back to my bed, only to meet a curly brunette holding a massive chainsaw.
My jaw dropped. I whirled back to the window and saw that it wasn't Passion drowning in the narrow sea but my mother. I screamed hitting the window as I did. The chainsaw roared on behind me and Passion's scream squealed across the room. I whirled around, horrified this time, to see Adrienne Hunter throttling his enemy with the blazing chainsaw in his hand.

Fear filled Passion's eyes, the chainsaw split my ears, Adrienne's grin mocked my being and my mother's choked gasps heated my skin.

I had to choose. In the petrifying nightmare, I had to choose. Between my Spitfire and my own mother.

I stood there, numb and indecisive like a baffled fool.

Adrienne tightened his clench around her neck, pushed the chainsaw an inch to her skin and looked at me. Waiting.
Waiting for me to do something.

My breath hitched.

Passion's eyes glistened a colour completely different from green and purple. They glistened the colour she nearly succumbed to in the mall.

Ombre red.

The colour of a raging flame.

Fire evoked from her palms and sprinted to the dimpled carpet. Spreading without hesitation to the curtains and the draped sheets on the floor.

And just then, I knew she could protect herself. I knew she would be safe. I turned my back on her and broke the window to a dozen shatters of glass with a solid punch. My mother reached for me and I her, but the longer I got to see the failure in my mission, the quicker I saw what a complete fool I was.

Her Pacifier: Secrets From The Pastजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें