Chapter 30

"Passion..."
"Hmm?" She hums and the tingling vibration sends through a radiation of sensation against my chest. Even though it's the nape of her neck that's against it.

Her iPad is off now and we've been sitting like this- her between my legs, leaning against my belly- for the past 10 minutes.
Or 15. No 20. 30?
I'm not sure but that's the least of my worries at the moment. Her name and what danger it could bring for us both is the root of all my worries.

"You don't like me calling you Evelyn, do you?" I ask. The words sounding more of a statement as they slip off my tongue, rather than a question like they did in my head.

"What?" She turns her head to look up at me and I feed the urge to brush the curly strand off her folded forehead.

I rephrase. "I mean you did slap me for calling you Evelyn when we fought on the soccer field. So, I'm guessing you don't like me calling you Evelyn. Casually." I shrug.

A hint of guilt sparks her eyes before they fall and her cheeks flush.
"You didn't call me Evelyn casually," she barks.
True. I called her that because I was mad and fuming with adrenaline rushing through my veins in a fight. As it should.
I shut my mouth when she continues.

"And I don't want you ever calling me it so don't do that again. It made me mad."

I can't hide my sly smile. "Everybody calls you Eve- by your first name, why can't I?"

Passion looks up at me, her eyebrows narrowed. "You're not 'everybody', are you?"
"No," I reply.
I'm surely and positively sure that the selfishness in me would refuse to ever being referred to as 'Everybody'. I'm glad I'm not.

"Then it's settled," she gruffly closes the chapter but I reopen it.
"Why did it make you mad?"
A second passes with a long pause and I don't know if I've ever heard a silence quite so loud. A second passes then another.
"Passion..." I pull her name.
My frustration won't stay put for much longer.
"Passion-"
"Because you promised to never call me that but you did," she sighs and I feel like pulling out the dagger I used to stab her in the back with. Her voice lowers to a grumble. "You broke your promise because of your foolish anger."
True. "I'm sorry," I say. "I don't like calling you what the others call you either."
"Then why did you?" She snaps.
"I couldn't help but wonder, if Adrienne Hunter would come for us the more I called you Passion." I withdraw a breath I barely knew I was holding. "If he would come for you."

Passion sits up and opens her legs before she turns around to hug my torso. Her hands cup my cheeks and the affection alone sends more vibrations throughout my cores. I can't help but run my fingers through her curly hair in return. The soft knots are impossible to ignore.

"He will never find me," she hoarsely says as she locks into my worry eyes. "He will never find us because I'm in England now. I left my father's hometown years ago, leaving Adrienne and my withered past behind. He can't bring the future back if he can't find me and he won't. I just want you to be the only one calling me that while I enjoy my teen life as a normal, human girl."

"You sure?" I ask her. Her words lift a little weight off my shoulders but there's still some weight left behind. I need assurance.
"I'm sure, I assure you."
She gives me a smile that doesn't reach her eyes or make her dimples pop out and I still suspect she can read my mind. I simply nod.
"Now stop brooding and kiss me," she demands.
My eyebrows hit the ceiling, and she leans in closer. Our foreheads touching.
"You want me to kiss you Ms Papillon?" I ask teasingly and she grins. Her dimples popping out just the way they should.
"Yes."
I grin. "Your confidence is contagious."
"Your persistency is annoying," she whines and hops on my lap.
"Keep doing that and you'll be fucked up before you can even steady yourself for a kiss," I warn.