Chapter 44

"Where are you? At your dorm?! When did you arrive? Five minutes ago? We need answers, Dior, what's going on? He...oh no. Are you sure? No...we... Yeah, something like that. For Christ's sake, Dior, we got caught and now our parents are coming for a very serious meeting, we might be faced with expulsion. Just get your ass here and we'll talk then." Drae ends the call, flustered and frustrated. He rubs his forehead with his index and thumb.

"Start talking," Collen commands.

Drae stares directly at Passion. "She said she ditched her car in the big hole on the construction site then used your truck to drive all the way back here."

"Has she contacted Doug's parents about all this?" Sammy tremulously asks.

"That's the dumbest question I've ever heard escape from your lips, Samantha! Why would she do that?" Passion whisper-hisses.

"I don't know maybe because...they deserve to know!" She squeals. "What we're doing here now is by far dangerous because it seems to me that we're actually getting away with murder either than covering our tracks."

I lean further into the centre of the table. "What are you implying? We aren't trying to get away with murder here."

"Maybe we are," Drae darkly says.

Passion's eyes enlarge.

"Come on, that's a little fifty shades," Collen incredulously says. "Douglass is not dead."

"And how are you so sure about that? Have you heard anything? Hmm? Anything at all?"

Passion's fist is trembling on her lap and Sammy's scratching her scalp.

"Let's all calm down," I coo. "We won't get anywhere with all this panicking. Chill out."

"I don't like how this is turning out," Sammy whispers, "this is down right Murder Club business!"

I place my hand on Passion's and gently squeeze it. She visibly relaxes but only for a split second before the oak doors burst open and we all glance at it on cue.

Dior jogs to our corner, wearing orange leggings and an orange sweater. Her dark hair is tied into a messy bun at the top of her head and last night's make up has worn out of her face. She hasn't showered but she looks decent enough.

Passion and Sammy stand to hug her and she accepts both their warm but also shattered embraces. I can tell she ran from her dorm here, judging by the way she's rapidly breathing.

"I found your phone in your truck. Someone won't stop calling."

Dior slides Passion's phone to her on the table. Passion grabs her mobile, frowns with dread and curses in french on the screen, before flipping it over.

"Who was it?" I ask.

"Future," she replies.

"Future?"

Passion looks aside as she realizes what she just said. "I mean Charles - my brother."

Dior gives up on pulling a chair and sits on Collen's lap without given permission. Collen does not object it.

"You okay?" Drae asks her.

She nods too quickly then slowly shakes her head, looking down and rubs her pink nose.
"Shit's 'bout to go down. All directions."

"We know," I sigh, "but enlighten us on his condition."

She looks around to make sure no one's paying close attention to our table then lowers her head and speaks so low. We have to strain our ears to listen closely.