Chapter 33

"Evelyn?"

A girl with black glossy hair in a beige mini dress jumps up from her armchair and looks at us in total shock. When Passion rolls her eyes and grips my hand tighter, the girl's attention shifts from my face to our hands. A smug smile appears on her heart shaped face and she walks to us.

"You know her?" I whisper in Passion's ear.

"I wish I didn't," she groans.

"She seems nice," I murmur and yelp at Passion's nails digging into the back of my hand. I wryly smile at the eyes that glance to us.

"Took your dirty curls long enough," the girl points at the oval clock on the wall. The time is 16:16, Passion and I literally spent the whole day in the mall. I'm surprised it isn't red but white.

"We're about to close," the girl says and her hand touches the corner of her lips. She leans closer to Passion like she would to a child who she's about to share a secret with. Her voice is low and barely audible, nonetheless I hear her whisper; "But you know I'd gladly pause the hands on the clock, a thousand times for you."

Passion swats at her hand and like a fly, it flies away.

"If this salon wasn't so harmful on the eyes, you'd have more dirty curls to wash," Passion snaps. If it weren't for the feeling of trepidation, swarming in my head, I would've sniggered at her brilliant come back. Passion, as expected, isn't oblivious of the crimson abuse within the salon.

"Feisty as always," the girl chants like a song. Her heart face turns to me, then, with a pause between each word and it's successor, she flirtatiously asks, "Who... Is... This?"
As she asks this question with every pause, my face and body are shot nods of approval.
"Jules Hawk," I say and offer my hand for her to shake, but Passion is quick to grasp it.

I reckoned I was the jealous type here.

"Isle, this is Jules. Jules this is Isle," Passion introduces us both. "She's my... Was my..."

"I'm her brother's girlfriend's sister," Isle helps Passion's suddenly contagious pauses. Isle gracefully continues; "I was Charles' girlfriend in the past. Before we were unfairly divided by time, and separated in the present-"

"Yes, Isle. I'm sure Jules gets it," Passion interrupts. Sadly, the only thing I don't get is her ancient choice of words. Unless she's a...
"You're a Time Keeper?" I blurt.
Isle's face lights up, despite her shining make-up and golden brown eyes, which unusually appears to be faint gold. She glances to Passion in question or permission to reply. Passion heavily sighs, "He's my Pacifier," and nods for her to reply to my blurt but she gapes instead.

"A Pacifier?" Her shriek is on the verge of cracking the windows and mirrors open.

"His eyes aren't baby blue or sky blue or close to any shade of blue existent, but black." Isle steps on tip-toe and leans a little too close to peer at my black eyes.
Luckily, there is only one customer left, paying his barber for a sightly fresh cut. Paying no absolute attention to the commotion, this sarcastic college girl is causing. She'd definitely pass for a preppy college girl, I just know it.

"His not from our world," Passion says, stepping before me. "And yes Jules, she's a Time Keeper. Now, Isle, would you stop acting weird as always and detangle my hair?"

Isle shakes her head, like she was locked in some sort of trance, just by simply staring at my eyes. I understand, my darkness can be overwhelming.

"His eyes are smooth and bewitching," she murmurs, "Like smooth pebble stones."

"Isle," Passion warns. I'm not sure to take her statement as a compliment, but it's rather enjoyable to see Passion all hot and heavy for me - with jealousy.