Chapter 39: "Persuasion is better than force."

Danny POV

The moment they jumped on the roof, I knew we were in trouble; everything happened so fast. 

In a blink, one of them was on top of me, sinking his teeth in my hand, I had to let go of Pearl, and she started crawling away; I didn't think she knew what she was doing. The rogue on top of me instantly moved his head toward her, sniffing. Her pheromones were the only thought he could probably think about, he totally ignored the gun I had, and he died quickly.

Pearl struggles a bit in my grip as warriors from my pack fight rogues, but I feel a strange calmness. Although I don't see Drake, he isn't present.

Soon the united howl of many wolves makes me understand that the rogues are dead; I dare to stand up and look down; I see many wolves, some of them shifted, some not. I recognize Alexa kneeling in front of Terry and Ivory. I see to my utmost fear also Brandon.

"Danny, it's alright!" He screams, noticing that I am looking at him. "Only mated warriors or those strong enough to control their wolves are here. Alyssa is driving here in the car; we will take you all home soon."

He smiles at me but does nothing. Not when Alexa helps me take Pearl down, not when we can put both girls and me and Terry into the car. Brandon all the time just smiles slightly as he says that he will stay to clean after the fight.

And half hour later, we are in the pack's infirmary. Ivory is wounded quite severely, and Terry has bruised ribs. Natasha and Chen are not present cause she is taking care of the rest of the rogues.

Pearl, still in her heat state, is sleeping in a sealed room for omegas, still whimpering in pain, snuggled into Fiona because Alyssa said the smell of her pregnancy would make her wolf much calmer.

Alyssa is taking care of Ivory with Terry present, and Alexa and I are sitting in the corridor. Julius only managed to hug me, and he had to go with Chen to help Natasha. So apparently, the first group of rogues wasn't the only one which attacked the pack today.

"If we count what you went through today, we had five attacks, "Alexa says." The situation was quite bad; I will have to call our allies north to check on them because that's where all those rogues came from. Sorry that Brandon was there, but the situation was so serious that we had to fight with what we had."

"Do you know why it happened?" I ask, and she shrugs, but I'm sure she finds it a bit strange. Howl Pack has encounters with rogues quite often, but never so big and from so many places simultaneously.

Brandon enters the corridor, which makes me tense; seeing him so close to me after so much time is hard; Alexa snarls at him.

"I won't do anything," he says, putting his hands up," Danny, please, I just want to talk to you. Alexa can always be present; please give me just 10 minutes."

Alexa looks at me because this is my decision to make. I don't want to talk with him, but I can't avoid it. Sooner or later, we must have that confrontation, so I nod. We go to another room, but Brandon leaves the door open. If I need Alexa, I just have to shout.

I wonder what I actually feel, despite the fear, looking at him. Sadness, maybe, that it turned out like that?

Brandon seems normal, yet he has dark bags under his eyes and signs of fatigue on his face.

"I don't feel Bruce," I say slowly, which is true.

"He is in pain; he misses you. I miss you."

Because I neither comment nor look at him, he continues:

"No words will ever make it well, but I'm so sorry, Danny, I really am. I thought I had it behind me."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, wondering what excuse he has, but he manages to surprise me: