Chapter 32: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

Terry POV

Ivory and Pearl put the grocery in the basket when I check a list Mae gave me. My head is a bit not in the game today; I'm still worried about Danny. Alyssa called, Danny is safe, and Brandon is in custody, plus he is still healing after the fight with Julius. But I just get a feeling that it's just the beginning, and it's killing me because I can't do anything.

The sick fucker made it on purpose; he came to my bar to threaten me and next sent me the text from Danny's phone to provoke me to go to Howl Pack to get myself killed. 

Pearl laughs, and I notice her standing next to the shelves with a guy I have never seen here before. Ivory also looks at him suspiciously but doesn't do anything. I get closer to him, and they stop talking and acknowledge me.

"Daddy, this mister wants to buy baby food but not for baby," she says

"O really, I'm Terry Peterson, and you are?"

"I'm Nick Brody," the guy says; he is a bit plumply guy with glasses, perfectly neat nails, and hair." I'm just moved to work for LT Corp Mine; you have a very nice daughter."

Yes, the mine. They are renting some lands from Howl Pack, but their employees usually live in the town some miles to the south because it is closer to the mine and the main administrative building.

"Moving here, you stay quite far from the mine," I say, and he sighs:

"I work mostly on my computer, so I don't have to be at the office every day; I have an elder relative in my care, and here was easier no find a landlord who can also provide some care for him for a couple of hours a day."

"The baby food is for this Mister's uncle," Pearl chirps, and I nod in understanding as Nick smiles.

"Well, nice to meet you, Terry; what is your business here in this town, if I may ask?"

"My aunt is the owner of the bar. I help her run it."

"Nice, very nice I will visit for sure. My contract is for half of the year, so I should find some acquaintances."

I nod to him, and the girls and I are taking the groceries and start walking back home. We pass close to the Middle School, and I see the kids leaving, some I recognize as pack's children, and they try so hard to ignore me but are not that good at it. Ivory is dead set on not paying any attention to them, but Pearl stops and smiles, even if just for the moment.

When we got home, I take care of the groceries and then train with Ivory for an hour with Pearl preparing the lunch with Aunty Mae. After that, we have a guest.

Alyssa is sitting in our living room telling us about the current situation:

"For now, Brandon is in the dungeon, but I fear he won't stay there too long," she says.

"Why?" I ask, clenching my fists.

"I once told you that there will be no werewolf law to protect your nephew. Danny hasn't been interrogated yet, but Brandon was. He claims he met that night with Fiona, and she specifically mocked him that Danny was cheating on him. Brandon claims Bruce was furious and heartbroken, and he lost control and didn't intend to hurt Danny. He says that was a single situation like that that he was so rough, but blamed it all on Bruce, who was in pain because he felt Danny's cheating on him repeatedly when he was away, and Fiona mocking him made him furious."

"What your daughter said?' asks Aunty Mae.

"Fiona confirmed his version, but I know she's lying. She's just so in love and so stupid. We have a very big argument, and she's moved out with her friend. She's also pregnant, and she believes that if Brandon and Danny break up, she can be with Brandon." Alyssa says in a tired voice.