Chapter 20: "Ignorance is bliss"

Danny above

Danny POV

Trist, Chen, his sons, and Julius are playing basketball on the playground at the boys' school. It's funny to see Julius moving around so fast in his wheelchair, the boys have problems keeping up with him.

Today's afternoon he turned out at my doorstep and asked me to go and pick Trist up with him and that's enough of sitting at home. He understands that I'm shaken after what happened with Brandon and that everybody is on my side. If he only knew the real reason I haven't stepped outside of my house for so many days.

I shiver at merely the thought of what happened when Brandon and I met after what had happened at the party. I left Chen's house early in the morning, leaving only the note on the table. I didn't want to face their pity and their worry, especially not Julius's. I know how bad are things between me and Brandon and that I have no way out of this.  have lived among werewolves long enough to know that breaking the bond between marked true mates is impossible. The problem is mainly Bruce. Seeing Brandon with Fiona made me realize that I simply don't care. I don't care about my mate, I don't love my mate, and don't want to be near my mate. But Brandon's wolf is another story. I may have a big resentment towards Brandon but I still care and feel pulled to Bruce.

These rare moments when everything seems okay between us are only because of Bruce, I feel his love, his attachment, and his pain when Brandon hurts me. And I'm also scared about him, if Brandon and I continue like that I fear that something terrible can happen to Bruce.

When I entered the house that morning I hoped that Brandon and I could at least try to talk and fix something, even the small part of our relationship. But just one glance at him and I knew that he wanted to hurt me.

"Was it fun to humiliate me!" he shouted, " I know you did it on purpose you jealous bitch!"

He shoved me onto the floor and started kicking me in the stomach, as always not touching my face. I didn't scream, as always I was just praying for it to be over as soon as possible. I literally could feel Bruce at that moment crying in despair, I was wondering how angry must be Brandon if he didn't feel his wolf suffering.

At one moment he grabbed me by my hair, pressed me to the wall, and started choking me. I didn't even try to fight him, I just wanted it all to finally be over, I've had enough.

Preston entered the house, saw us, and pulled Brandon away from me, I fell to the floor coughing hard as Preston was holding his son screaming for him to get a grip, finally, Brandon gave up and stormed out of the house, and that when my father-in-law looked at me.

His eyes were cold as if he was looking at something meaningless when he said:

"You are not to talk about it with anyone, do you understand? If the pack knows that Brandon was abusing his mate they will never trust him. And he will be an Alpha, I will not let you ruin it for him. No matter what, do you understand? Brandon will leave for some time and when he is back I'll see to it that he won't touch you ever again. But you will do your part too, Danny, you will be a mate he needs, you will comfort him and support him, and you will keep his wolf strong."

I think he saw in my eyes how much I didn't want to do it, so he kneeled in front of me and gently but firmly grabbed my chin, and even though I was scared of Brandon, at that very moment I was also scared of him.

"You are marked, Danny. You have no way out, if you weren't sure you shouldn't have let him mark you. Now is too late, it's done."

Brandon left that afternoon and I hasn't stepped out of the house for a week, waiting to be able to move again without hissing in pain and the bruising on my neck to faint enough so I would be able to cover it.