Chapter 4: "Beggars can't be choosers"

Terry above

Terry POV

I spent the night on the couch in the living room, and because of that, my back isn't the happiest part of my body now. I go down to the bar to feed Doggy; he seems to sulk because I left him alone for the whole night.

"Sorry, Doggy, it's just..." I don't get to finish because I see Pearl standing at the door.

"Terry, Pearl slept well," she says and smiles brightly. "Ivory sleeps; she okay?"

"Yes, I think she is just exhausted."

Doggy comes closer to smell her, he growls a bit, but he's never attacked without a command unless he feels threatened. He sniffs her and doesn't seem happy, but she also seems a little scared of him cause she backs away. I come closer and once again reach my hand to her, and she takes it.

"Don't worry; Doggy won't hurt you. Just be very calm around him. Can you do it?" I say, trying to sound, I have no idea, friendly. She watches me today more alertly.

"Ivory said not trust... will you hurt us... Ivory said other could hurt us. But you helped us... why?" she keeps fidgeting with her fingers, and I don't know why, but she makes me feel touched. I'm a cold-blooded killer, yet something in her makes me want to protect her.

"I won't hurt you, kid. Let's get upstairs and check on your sister," I say, guiding her back. She doesn't let go of my hand.

We come to the bedroom; the second one is sitting and looking around, confused. But the moment she sees us, or probably me, she bares her canines, and her eyes start shifting. I guess she isn't too happy that I'm so close to her sister. Pearl jumps in her direction.

"Ivory, not mad... Terry didn't hurt... Terry gave food."

Ivory snarls, but she seems a bit hesitant about what to do next. Run or accept help? Not that she is in good shape to run. I'm sure she feels better, but the wound so festering couldn't just heal in a couple of hours since, for sure, her wolf has struggled with it for days.

"Hey Ivory, my name is Terry. Your sister was stealing from my dumpsters for the last week; yesterday, she showed me a way to you."

"You are not one of us, and yet you know why?" she asks warily.

"I had some history with werewolves, but I'm not your enemy. And let's be honest; you don't have any other option than to trust me."

Pearl sits next to her sister and starts singing something. Ivory and I just let her do it. I sit on the chair close to her but let her keep her distance.

"Listen, Ivory, you don't know me or trust me, and it's alright. But your wounds need to get healed, and both you and Pearl need to get better before you can decide what to do next. Let's do this that way. I'll ask you a question, and then you will ask me a question. If you don't want or can't answer, don't lie. Just say you can't tell. Can we do it that way?"

She nods, yet her canines are still out, and she trembles slightly. Well, why wouldn't she?

"So Ivory, how old are you and your sister?"

"I'm 12; Pearl is 13. Why did Pearl talk with you?"

"She used to come to my bar to steal food in her wolf form; yesterday, she was spotted by two warriors from the closest pack. I helped her hide, and she asked for my help. It was very bad with you; I guess she didn't know what to do."

"What pack is close to here?" she asks quickly, too quickly, in my opinion.

"Howl Pack," I say, and she relaxes visibly. "How long are you and Pearl alone?"