Chapter 2: "Be careful what you wish for"

Danny above

Danny POV

I was born in the hunter's clan; I was born in the Nightingale clan, the most ruthless clan of them all, which meant that my father and my neighbors were killers. They lived on killing werewolves. I never really understood why, but that was how things were; I was a child unable to question it; I was raised not to question it. 

But ten years ago, the Alpha of the Black Moon Pack and his allies managed to erase from this earth every hunter clan in this state, including mine. Many of those I knew died, and many of those I knew I watched dying. 

But I survived, or most likely, was saved by werewolves; my adoptive father says it was the Goddess's blessing, her mercy, to bring me to them. I was adopted by Celia Nightingale and her werewolf mate, the Beta of the Black Moon Pack. I would say I had won the orphaned lottery. My father died in werewolves attack,  and I don't regret it because he abused me and chose to sell me to no one else but one of our clan's leaders Jordan Nightingale, who... broke me, broke me in so many pieces that it took years for me to glued myself together. Thanks, Goddess, he is dead now. 

The other clan leader Terry Nightingale, my mother's older brother, may be dead or not; he disappeared. It wasn't easy for him to accept that his sister had chosen to follow the mating bond and allowed her true mate to mark her. It wasn't easy for him to betray Jordan Nightingale to save his sister and her mate and help other survivors of our clan's massacre to start a new life far away from werewolves and hunts, but he did it. And after that, he disappeared, which started the long years of peace and prosperity for werewolves packs in this region, including mine.

My adoptive parents and sister gave me all the love and security I could ask for, and the Black Moon Pack gave me a place I could call home and friends for life. I was born in the hunter clan, but I found my place in the wolf's pack, and although I'm a human, I've never felt like not part of this community. The Black Moon Pack was where I was happy, and now I miss it. 

We are sitting at the big table full of food. Brandon, a big handsome man with bright eyes and blonde hair, is smiling brightly, telling stories about how we've met, how he and his wolf have instantly fallen in love with me. I look around at eating people. They all seem friendly and genuinely happy that Brandon and I have found each other. Am I happy?

I seem so small compared to Brandon; I'm skinny, although I have some muscles, and my hair is dark and short.

Brandon's hand rests on my thigh; I should feel reassured by his touch, shouldn't I? That is the mate thing. That is how mates work, right? I've watched that for the last ten years of my life, especially with my adoptive parents, right? I try to think about something else; I'm probably tired and nervous because of the new place and people. And I'm not good at dealing with most of the new things in my life.

I wonder how things are at home; I probably should call them soon and tell them... just what exactly? That I won't be coming back since the decision was made?

One of the werewolves keeps looking at me almost all the time, and I wonder why. Is it because I'm human? I saw how completely surprised he was at the moment he smelt that. Well, the rest of them also seemed a little surprised, so I quickly clarified that I was adopted, and after that, there was no more question. But I guess not because of a lack of curiosity but because of politeness.

"So Danny, how are your paintings? The last time I saw you were prepared to finish arts at college?" asks Alpha Natasha.

I remember I saw her once or twice at home since she is an ally to our pack and a close friend of Alpha Mikkeli, so I'm not surprised she knows what I'm doing.