Chapter 17: "Better fifty enemies outside the house than one within"

Madison, Julius's rejected mate above

Danny POV

The time wasn't merciful for Madison I think as I sit in front of her in one of the town's diners. I offered her and Trist a meal together, and she accepted. It was very awkward, to say the least. Trist didn't utter a word and was only looking at me very concerned, she was very busy with her plate. To tell the truth, she looks starved and unhealthy. Her hands are shaking when she tries to convince me with a smile that she is alright. When we finished eating, I sent Trist to wait in my car because I needed to have a word with her alone.

"When did you come back?" I ask.

"A couple of weeks ago, it took me some time to find Trist and..."

"How did you find him?"

"I contacted my former best friend; she showed me his photo."

"And you were waiting for him in front of the school waiting for the opportunity," I finish, and she nods.

"Did you ask him for money?"

She actually looks at me, surprised. I want to feel some compassion toward her, but I simply can't. She was gone for so many years and now suddenly she is back and Trist is in need of money so much that he decides to steal.

"You probably think I'm cruel, but I was in need, and he wanted to help me and..."

"Of course he did," I interrupt her again "So you came for what, to use him?"

"I'm his mother, I couldn't stick around because of Julius. He made it clear he didn't want me around my son. "

"And I presume calling even from another part of the country was impossible for ten years," I say. I know I'm harsh with her, but I don't care. Neither of us is important in it.

"How much more do you need?"

She bites her lips and glances at me, and I'm sure she is trying to figure out how much she can actually ask of me.

"5 thousand and I presume I must stay away from my son to get it?" she smirks.

"No, I'll pay you gradually but you will stay close, give me your number. You will keep seeing Trist if he wants to see you and don't tell him about money. You will treat him right and make sure he will not feel that he is only a cow to milk for you."

"You think you know me and have any right to judge?" she spits angrily.

"He cares or he wouldn't try to steal for you, I won't let you hurt him more."

I take her number and leave the diner, but honestly, I wonder why she is back. Money may be the reason but why now, after so many years? I don't know all the details but I doubt Julius would ever make it impossible for her to see her son if she was persistent on it. But if he really did it, I doubt it was because of the cheating. Julius lost his legs, his brother and Luna Thomas died, and she left. The timing is just too good to be a coincidence.

Trist looks at me timidly as I enter the car.

"Can you tell me everything from the beginning?" I ask as gently as I can, I don't want to upset him more.

"She was waiting for me in front of school two weeks ago, at first I didn't know who she was but she told me, and she knew some things about me and Dad so I was sure she wasn't lying."

"Ok, how often do you see her?"

"Every other day, she said she needed money, and I gave her all I had, but she needed more, and as a lone wolf, she said that she had debts she had to pay, so I... I..." I see tears in his eyes, and I wrap my arm around him and pull him to me.