Chapter 26:" The truth will set you free"

Terry POV

My dad screams for me to run. The rogues pushed our car off the road; it made a few lapses down the hill; they are coming; they will be here soon. But my mum is stuck in the car, she can't run, and my dad refuses to leave her alone. He screams that I should live no matter what.

I run, I hide, and I hear them being murdered and eaten. It's my fault; I've killed them. I was arguing so loud in front of the bar with my father that some rogues passing by heard and understood that we were a hunter family. They chased us; they attacked us. They killed my parents.

My grandfather screams for me to do it. The werewolf lies in front of me, unable to move because he is tied up. He is in his human form; he begs me not to do it. But my grandfather screams, and Jordan screams for me to do it. I raise the knife and stab him in the throat. He won't suffer, I hope, and yet I missed because my hand was shaking. I stab him again. I've missed it again. I stab him again. Finally, he is gone, yet I stab him again and again and again. I can't stop. I don't know why.

My sister screams for me to help her, to make them stop. My grandfather said that she had humiliated the clan because she had got pregnant with a werewolf child and ordered her lynching. I just look, but I don't move to help her. I let them almost kill her. They stop beating her when she doesn't move anymore. They think she is dead. She didn't die that day. It was me who became dead to her.

Eric screams for us to go, we must go now, or we all will die. There is nothing more to do. They got us; there is no Nightingale clan anymore. It's over. Everything is burning, including my grandfather. There is nothing to save but people. I must at least save people, as many as I can.

They scream behind me; the building is slowly collapsing as I move as fast as I can in the direction of the exit. I lured them into the trap, got rid of Jordan, and let Black Moon warriors and my sister escape. That's it, I think; I did as much as I could. My people are safe; Eric will make sure of that. My sister is safe. Her mate will make sure of that. Why do I try so hard not to die? Why should I? I make it to the exit when the corridor gets blocked behind me, burying everybody who is still there. I limp in the direction of the car; I'm so tired, and the snow falls from the sky. I just want to sleep. Doggy is sitting next to the car looking at me and wagging his tale. I can't give up yet; I must take care of him first.

Pearl and Ivory scream at me that they want some ice cream and that we will miss the movie if I don't hurry up. Pearl jumps into my arms, saying that she loves her daddy. That she loves me.

Someone is hidden in the dark and screams that I will never be safe no matter what, and now when he knows where I'm, he will take everything from me...

I jerk off my sleep, happy that I managed to wake up without screaming. Ivory is standing at the entrance to the room, looking at me.

"I have a fever because of the wound, so nightmares are something normal," I say, but she doesn't seem convinced.

No one from the Howl Pack has entered the bar for three days; I guess it's good. Aunty Mae says that Natasha will keep her end of the bargain and that nothing will happen as long as we stay away from each other. I hope so.

I get up, we eat breakfast together, and I suggest taking Ivory and Pearl for a walk; we need to take Doggy to the vet to check his stitches. And because now everybody thinks my daughters are visiting me, and Howl Pack knows about my Jewels, there is no more point in hiding. We only have to be careful about rogues because of the posters.

Danny called and calmed me down, saying that everything was ok, and he was safe, only a bit ostracized, which I guess couldn't be avoided no matter what.