Chapter 23: "As you sow, so you shall reap"

Julius above

Julius POV

Danny is lying naked under me, he has tears in his eyes and yet he is smiling so brightly... Since I woke up on his couch I can't shake off visions like this assaulting my mind. I haven't felt so well in eternity, as if I finally got something essential to stay alive. I feel Drake's pure joy, first time in 11 years I feel him so strong.

Danny and I had breakfast together, and he seemed, I don't know, dispirited, and yet he kept saying that everything was fine. He might be worried because of our last conversation and everything I told him about Madison, Red Venom, and Luke. I shouldn't drag him more into all of that mess, especially including my ex-mate, I think as I move my wheelchair inside the pack dungeon.

She sits curled in the last cell, she doesn't look happy or healthy. Well, I don't care about her comfort no matter what. When I saw her for the first time after so many years all I could think was anger, now I think I feel tired but the anger is still there. I still don't want her here no matter what. And definitely, I don't want her near my son. And yet I'm here because Trist begged me to go to her and help her.

"I didn't expect you here," she says when she sees me.

"Why did you come back?"

"To see my son," she says wrapping her arms around her knees.

"After ten years? Suddenly you found in yourself so much motherly love," I say ironically and she looks at me angrily.

"You were the one who sentenced me for life on constant run and danger. And you were the one who took my son away from me so don't you dare to judge me! I was stupid, I was greedy and I was naïve, but this was my home! Do you really think that I would deliberately be able to destroy it!" she screams.

"I don't care about your intentions, the result is what matters, nothing more!" I shout at her.

She starts crying, curling herself even more.

"Why did you come back?" I ask again.

"I would never be able to survive as a rogue and you knew that. Natasha knew that too. Tell me, were you hoping that I would die quickly?" she takes a big breath "I was accepted in a pack, far away from here, I was a pack slut if you need to know."

"You think I care? I don't care who you have slept with for 10 years and I don't intend to start now!"

"I lost my wolf, she is no longer with me. And don't look like that, you think the rejection affected only you? My wolf got weaker, but I've lost her recently and because of that my position in the pack, I wasn't strong enough to keep myself safe anymore and I'm not getting any younger. In my field, it's not an advantage. I had to leave and because I had nowhere to go I came back here."

"To approach Trist and use him against me," I growl and she smirks.

"I'm not stupid anymore, I knew you would not welcome me here with an opened arms but I also wanted to see him, I want him to know at least how I look like."

"And the guy who had attacked you in the forest?"

"He is one of the clients, I stole some money when I left the pack I was living in, pack's money, he was in charge of security, I guess the Alpha kicked him out for that or maybe sent him after me to get the slut back!"

"And the money, but if you had the money why did Trist steal for you?" I ask and for a moment I see a small panic on her face "So, will you tell me the truth?"

She gulps but doesn't seem as full of herself as before.

"I had a guy, we did this together, and he..."