Chapter 1: A Leg Injury

Ryan and Chase make their way to the top of the hill, trading smiles as they glance down at the hill before them.

"I can't believe you convinced me to come with you," Ryan comments, catching Chase's attention. 

"Let's face it - it wasn't hard to do that though," he replies back in response with a smirk, to which earns a nod in return. There was no doubt that Ryan would do whatever it took for Chase, and then some. 

That was the basis of their friendship from their first moments hanging out together - they were close as they came, did what they needed for each other, spending whatever time they could. A couple drinks one night, and they learned the feelings went deeper than both would probably wanted to have admitted. However, there was no looking back from that night - except for the one mistake to which still haunted Ryan at times.

Thankfully, their friendship was able to overcome that, and they were able to find their way back to hanging out together, sharing the bond they held, and enjoying each other's company. It was just with a new individual alongside them to have more fun.

"I'm surprised Alex isn't here with us," Ryan adds, smirking at the past few nights and the various escapades they had been able to accomplish in the cabin. It seemed no room was left untouched, with every single body part finding satisfaction in the many ways they explored each other. Forget going to the Las Vegas casinos - the cabin offered every thing for your satisfaction.

"He wanted to, badly, but Ally has him at the track for an appearance," Chase reminds Ryan as he checks to ensure his foot was strapped properly once again. Despite his worries, it had remained tight in the buckles, with no movement from the board he was attached too. 

He remembered flying Alex to the track that morning, the kiss shared upon landing, regret in not being able to spend another fun day in Colorado, as well as the promise to see each other that night. He just hoped it was clearly understood what type of strip he was ready for.

"I'd like to bitch about that, but he has it made with how much they love him and want to do with him," Ryan comments, earning a simple nod of approval from Chase. There was no doubt in his mind that they were the perfect marriage when it came to a driver and sponsorship. "Let me guess - another puppy playdate. I just hope it doesn't result in another dog in the house because there's already not enough room in the bedsroo-"

"I made him promise to not bring us anymore friends as four is enough," Chase assures Ryan, though had to admit one of those puppies in Virginia last year about broke his own rule. The eyes always got to the heart, and this little guy was a master in accomplishing that. "There's also be more room if someone didn't hog the bed." 

Chase takes a deep breath, glancing down the hill, planning the route he intended to take, including the couple small jumps that he knew would make the day that much more fun. He just hoped Ryan could keep up with what he had in store today.

He hops around on the board until he's pointed vertical to the hill, allowing his left foot to be pointed in the direction of travel as he had done in the past. A slight shift once again, he felt the edge of the board begin to tip over the crest, followed by the release he wanted.

Without hesitation, he was sliding down the hill, weaving through the first couple pylons, and over the first jump with ease. Continuing to pick up speed, he allows himself to continue the weave with ease, and another jump. The adrenaline was there as the speed felt great, and he had everything going right.

Then it happened. He caught an edge that was sticking up he wasn't prepared for, causing the board to tip forward more than he intended. He feels all weight shift to his left side, every bit of him forced onto his left leg. The motion continues, with him going head over heels, everything coming down on that left leg as he goes sliding down the hill in a heap.

"Chase!!!" Ryan yells, having followed him down the hill just a couple minutes after his release, watching the entire scene before him. He manages to maneuver around what was sticking out, before sliding his way to where his friend had stopped following his awkward slide down the hill. "Chase?!?" He then kneels down, relieved when he sees a pair of eyes looking back at his own. He didn't know what he'd do if he didn't see those eyes, panic already beginning to set in as he looked at the position his friend was in.

"Fuck!" Chase lets out as he reaches for his leg, both hands grabbing it as he squints his eyes shut, pain shooting up his body. The motion wasn't missed by Ryan at all, who fully sat down in the snow, glancing over the body part in question in hopes of a sign of why the pain was currently ripping through his buddy's body. "Holy fuck! That kills!" 

"Are you oka-"

"My leg is fucking killing me, man!" It wasn't like for Chase to complain about pain very easily. He didn't shed a tear when he rolled his ankle that time. He didn't flinch at the marks across his body from another time. So to hear the words screamed out, hands grabbing the leg, wet eyes, none of it sat well with Ryan as he could already see the cast being placed. "I'm going to try to get up..." Chase unbuckles the boot from the board for both feet, before shifting his weight.

"Chas-"

"I think I may be able to get up.." He continues shifting his weight, placing a hand on Ryan's shoulder as he goes to stand up. It was an immediate bad idea as he fell right back down again, weight forced on the same leg for a second time. Rather than accomplishing what he wanted, he was just met with another shock pain through the system, causing another scream to escape his lips followed by the eyes drawing more wet. 

"Just stop, please. Just remain still..." Ryan pulls out his phone, pulling up the number for the ski resort they were attending as he hits dial. He thought about calling 9-1-1 knowing they'd probably need their assistance to move off the mountain, but figured this call would at least get them some help while waiting for the emergency services. "Just deep breathes. You're going to be okay..."