Chapter 50, Diamonds

Erray wakes alone on his bed pillow in the warmth of fire, blanket and sunlight fogging his cave ceiling.

Lonely fills him and hot tears run from his eyes.

He silently crys for a few minutes, before Lamica slips in through the drape and hangs his robe.
He slips into the blanket and cuddles up to Erray.

Erray hugs him tight as Lamica happily complains, "You're supposed to be sleeping."

Erray admits about the lump in his throat, "I woke up alone and it broke my heart."

Lamica pulls him as Lamica rolls on his back, "You poet. You don't have to be the first one up."

Erray rests his sorrow on Lamica's chest, "I like watching you wake up, but it never feels good to go to bed with someone and wake up alone."

Lamica pets his hair, "Your hole is a busy place. You're very far from alone.

"I just went to freshen up. I've been awake for hours, watching you sleep.

"Urshawn is running your monastery for you.
"He's got fairies and workers on the hustle to get everything done before you wake.

"He gave you the cornfield you destroyed. He's having it fenced in, with gap to Old Chap's yard, of course.
"He made it part of the monastery so Fairies have free access to outside and they are loving it.

"They're building a vent for the new alcove's fumes, my trench is still burning and stuff has exploded inside it.
"We decided you're the only one who can safely examine it.

"They're also building a chicken coop with private entry.
"Grand Mother says her hens are not likely to come underground, but your rooster will for you.
"We tried to ask about him, but she said she had too much respect for you to explain about Fang.
"We made her tell us repeatedly that you actually call your rooster Fang.

"Fairies are building a compost thing outside, excavating and interviewing anyone they like for interest in having a Sprout.
"Jicky plugged me into the monastery so when I'm in your territory Fairies are understood.

"Taben is remodeling the kitchen and Grand Mother is teaching him to make your favorite foods.

"Your wilds are settling in and Billie is teaching a class on how to time the wind.

"How's the lonely now?"

Erray softly sasses, "Lonely? What's that?
"Never heard of that before."

Lamica laughs softly, "So what's the deal with Fang?"

Erray sighs and he knows Lamica can tell has still not feeling happy, "Ever get sad for no reason you can name?
"Or feel tired for no reason?
"Or want to cry because you got all your work done and there's nothing left to do, but wait for tomorrow?"

Lamica softly tells him, "No, but I have a brother that does."

Erray admits, "Happens to me a lot, but Fang tears it all up like fangs on a wolf after meat."

Lamica considers, "Maybe I should let Ercody have a pet."

Erray rolls off his muscle man onto the softer bed pillow, "If he fights sad for no reason, then I recommend a feisty cock."

Lamica turns to Erray, "He's always wanted a peacock."

He settles his head on Erray's belly, "You should sleep more. You only slept maybe six hours."

Erray runs his fingers through Lamica's hair and it seems to comb Erray back to sleep.

Erray wakes again in the warm room and fills with happiness as he sees Lamica is asleep with his belly as head pillow.
He reaches for Lamica's hair to gently wake him, but stops as his brain reports anomaly.