Chapter 20, Family Dinner

Herpaul puts the cast iron lid back on its pan, to keep the ready stir fry hot. He checks his juice has chilled.

Then he goes to his hosting room and check the fire is well fueled. He checks the candles are all lit and tall enough for the evening.
He checks the table settings again and verifies all six places have all their pieces, napkins and are properly aligned to themselves, each other and the pot rack.

Then the Lord goes to his washroom, checks all the candles and supplies are fresh and good for the evening.

He straights his evening blue shirt, dusts his clean black pants and verifies the shine of his black leather dance shoes.
He bushes his hair again, just in case.

Then he gets fresh incense, lights it... leaves one in the washroom, one in the hosting room and takes one to the entrance space.

He sits on a stool and waits.

In two breathes, his mind rushes with anxieties of everyone and of no one coming, so he goes to the kitchen and does it all again.

The Were Lord is brushing his hair for the third time since the dinner he started late was done, when he finally gets a knock on his door.

He hurries to it, calling out, "Who is it?"

"Lamica."

Herpaul opens the door slowly, "Please, come in."

Lamica does as he apologizes, "Sorry it took so long. Horse kicked a shoe halfway to the stables."

Herpaul gently closes the door behind the freshly bathed, blond muscle man, in very normal everyday clothes, but at least his hair is fancier than normal. He's pulled the top back and braided only it.

Herpaul leads him down the hallway, "It's fine. No one will notice you were late."

Lamica clears his throat of the thick incense as he follows the Lord through his apartment, "Why is that, my Lord?"

Herpaul waits just in his hosting room and lets the knight come in and see for himself.

Lamica looks about, then presses his lips for a moment, "Cause I'm the first one here."

Herpaul nods, "Any guess where everyone is?"

Lamica offers, "Urshawn is parlaying, I believe.

"I left Erray at the north bathhouse before I took the horse we borrowed to stable.

"I hurried, but like I said, I had to reshoe her. Then I bathed and hurried up here.

"I've no guess on anyone else. I've been with Erray all day."

Herpaul lets his worry show, then tucks it in, "Well, I'm very glad you came. Please, sit as..."

A loud hurried knock takes their attention, Herpaul hurries to the door asking it, "Who is it?"

"Erray, I'm sorry I'm late."

Herpaul opens the door and gasps.

Erray fusses, "Please tell me it doesn't look as bad as it feels."

Herpaul pulls him in as he closes the door, "What happened to your face? Did you have it painted red?"

Erray's annoyance fusses, "No."

Lamica hurries down the hallway, "What's wrong?"

Erray turns to him, pointing at his own face, "I'm allergic to relaxing."

Lamica gives him a gentle hug, "Just looks like a bad sunburn."

Erray hugs to him, "It feels like ants are on my face."