Chapter 23, Pixies

Erray folds the page and puts it in through his coat to his shirt pocket as he watches Belle do the same with hers.
Erray feels very odd about the page of time keeping, like he just tucked explosives into his shirt pocket.

Urshawn doesn't look up from his reading as he pulls a page from the stack and hands it to Erray without a word.

Erray's feeling of oddness shifts as he reads his own handwriting he didn't write.

Belle asks, "How'd I do?"

Erray nods at the thorough supply list. He puts it to his leg and tells her his corrections as he makes them, "Need at least two hundred feet of half inch hemp rope, not fifty.

"Don't need any student desks, best they don't feel confined in structure.

"No oak wood, only cedar... lots of nasty bugs underground.

"Need a full smithing setup, not just anvil.

"And you didn't list wicker reeds or bells... Need about four hundred small tin bells. Would take me a long time to make them myself."

Belle suggests, "Maybe ask the fairies in your basement to do them. Might help relations to hire them for a job. Bending tin is no harder for them than folding paper for you."

Erray considers, "Bet they make better ones than blacksmiths."

Urshawn doesn't look up from his reading as he comments, "They seemed curiuouly interested in communication. They might want to be friends."

Belle gives him a knowing kind of smile, then reports, "I can smell the mushroom den. We're almost to the vent line checkpoint."

Urshawn keeps reading, "One more page."

The carriage stops before he does.

It's a moment, then the driver reports, "We're here, Sire."

Urshawn doesn't move as he calls out, "Uno momento, senior."

Belle giggles, "English, Urshawn."

Urshawn pops once with a laugh that doesn't really happen. "One moment, sir."

Erray wonders, "English? What was it you said?"

Belle sounds of tattling, "In another Age, folk from different lands spoke in different languages. The different word kinds had different names. The name of the word group selected for the Age of Arma Gedeon was once called English. The first language of Aden our dear friend ever learned was called Spanish. He was just reading at top speed and miss spoke."

Erray laughs, "That's silly, Belle. How could people from different lands talk to each other?"

Urshawn gives the pages back to Belle, "Wasn't easy and understanding was a deadly game. Let's go."

Urshawn gets out then turns back for Belle. She toddles to the door, "Bring the pens, Erray."

Erray waits for Urshawn to get Belle to his hip, then gets out as he puts the pens in his coat pocket.

A desk with chair has been placed at the deepest point of the straight down hole. A long copper line hangs down a copper bell from the height above. A knight is shouting into the bell a report of their safe arrive.

Urshawn takes Erray's hand and tows him into the cave. A knight guards under each torch until they get to the wider space.

Four guard are exchanging worried looks as they approach.

Urshawn orders, "Report."

The one in trench coat states, "Bull kicked us out. They'd not come out until he called them out."